• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

Well, I persevered when I got back and now the picture is finished. Another one of those where I really like the idea but I just painted too much. It's not just a watercolour, gouache, acrylicand pencil crayon, but I did the eye in felt-tip pen as I couldn't be bothered getting the paints back out!

Feel it's time for something new, maybe the backlit redshank in a sun drenched field. mmmm

Attachments

• chailluzmarch 015.jpg
    chailluzmarch 015.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 244
It isn't what I was expecting - but I still like it. You've given the reed leaves a lovely, papery, crinkly feel - perfect and i like the little rail character, giving you the beady. Backlit redshank sounds perfect - beautiful spring day up here and the twooeee from the redshanks on the beach is drifting up and into the studio - lovely.

I've got to say, it wasn't what I was expecting either. I'd love to say I don't like it, but I can't, it's just not what I was planning, though now I've done this one, I may come back to it in the future and do a different, looser version. Redshank is definitely calling though, must think of a composition, will post the sketches soon. So much to do otherwise, got to prepare a test for my pupils for Thursday. Their English is improving even if they still pronounce breakfast, breast-f**k. The trouble with 8 year olds!

There's a spring feeling in the air, and there's a redshank in my sketchbook. About time, waders being my favourite group of birds means that living near Switzerland is perhaps not the best idea. Anyway, here is my first redshank for this region, distant and blurry, in a puddle in the middle of a field.

Attachments

• chailluzmarch 017.jpg
    chailluzmarch 017.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 233
Perfect Nick - simply beautiful. The splashes of light under the bird are spot on. This would work superbly as a small heavy-bodied acrylic or even an oil (it's not bad as a watercolour, mind! ;) ) - So get a quick one done before the kids' test, why don't ya?!!!

Thanks for the comments. I really miss these birds. Hoping to get some painting done tonight, and some sketching tomorrow. I feel hopeful for wryneck and Bonelli's warbler, two species that are found in our local cliffs, woods and gardens within walking distance from home, also two species I've never seen! Fingers crossed.

Another excellent painting Nick.

Elmley is teeming with redshank at the moment, all of them doing the thing birds do at this time of year! I took my daughter out with me on friday and didn't know where to look. I needn't have worried though; she told me they were just making baby redshank!

Good luck with the sketching.

Woody

Good to get the young ones interested, even if nature can be a bit x rated at times! All the pigeons are at it in the square by my apartment, it's almost romantic with all the french going 'ah, les amoureux!'

Getting back into insomniac mode, sparrowhawks are on the menu tonight!

Mmm, quick painting with bold strokes and not too much attention to detail. Craning my neck to get a sketch of this sparrowhawk whilst freezing my ******** off, one second and then it was off. I think I've got a bit of that memory in this picture. Now, bedtime, or my plan of an early morning walk will either be forgotten or seriously regretted

Attachments

• chailluzmarch 018.jpg
    chailluzmarch 018.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 227
The sprawk is a beauty, Nick - full of brooding menace (to which the choice of palette adds considrably). Could be a Daphne DuMaurier novel dustjacket design - captivating!

Bit of an update now, so bear with me! Lots been going on this week, even if it seems to all members that I've spent most of my time drunk or hungover! First, we have a sparrowhawk in flight. I'm not entirely convinced by this one, so it may reappear with a bit more done to it/taken away from it.

Then we have a work in progress, the little grebe from my sketches a few weeks back is now covered in paint and wax crayons and is going in the right direction at the moment.

Thirdly we have a pair of great spots, done rapidly with watercolour and wax crayon, going for an abstract mood, don't look too closely at the wings as they seem more broken than abstract - must try harder next time!!!

Attachments

• chaudanneapril 010.jpg
    chaudanneapril 010.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 214
  • chaudanneapril 028.jpg
    chaudanneapril 028.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 210
  • chaudanneapril 027.jpg
    chaudanneapril 027.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 210
....a sketching trip on Sunday morning, up to the hill fort at Chaudanne, hoping for wryneck and bonelli's - wrong place for the first, too early still for the other. Good numbers of chiffchaffs singing, also a few blackcaps and the first willow warblers. A pair of redstarts were present, though the male was only glimpsed briefly, leaving me to sketch the female, never mind, a good lesson in id seeing as there were a few black redstarts about too. Also in the sketches, a blackbird that held this position for a minute! A heron, because that might sell well in a gallery (yes, even artists are sometimes shallow!), and a short-toed treecreeper because I saw the short toe!!! Positively identifying it as such, rather than being suspected as most likely candidate in this area.

Attachments

• chaudanneapril 017.jpg
    chaudanneapril 017.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 176
  • chaudanneapril 019.jpg
    chaudanneapril 019.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 191
  • chaudanneapril 026.jpg
    chaudanneapril 026.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 177
  • chaudanneapril 021.jpg
    chaudanneapril 021.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 176
  • chaudanneapril 022.jpg
    chaudanneapril 022.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 178
And if you'res till following, well done! Here are a few pics of where I actually see these birds, it's nice to see the location. Bienvenue à Besançon!

Attachments

• chaudanneapril 003.jpg
    chaudanneapril 003.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 163
  • chaudanneapril 006.jpg
    chaudanneapril 006.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 164
  • chaudanneapril 007.jpg
    chaudanneapril 007.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 154
Right - where do I start.
Immediately in love with the overhead sprawk - my neck's aching with the angle of view - just perfect and the cloud design is wonderfully observed and rendered (my overall favourite, excellent!). The other two colour pieces are certainly going the right way, little grebe will be a definite seller.
The sketches are tremendous, and I know what you mean about the 'static blackbird' - just occasionally when they sit in the sun, they seem to fall into some kind of reverie - nicely captured.
Lovely to see your 'habitat' Nick - looks a wonderfully cultured and stimulating place to be (I could certainly do without redshanks for a month or two in favour of what you have there).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back