• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EXCLUSIVE 8x32 & 10x32 Zeiss FL binos (1 Viewer)

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
Hot off the press, we can reveal that Zeiss are unveiling 32mm versions of the FL binoculars at the birdfair tomorrow. This a true exclusive to Birdforum, you will not have heard this anywhere else. Interestingly these 32mm versions use the Pechan prisms rather than the familiar Abbe Koenig prisms, daylight transmission figures are believed to be exceptional.
More news soon.
Andy at the birdfair.

Well, having told my wife that we won't be spending much time on the optics stand as I already have a decent pair of bins, I'm now going to have to convince her that I 'need' to try out all the latest 32mm kit, etc, (for 'research' purposes only, of course!)

Andy Bright said:
Hot off the press, we can reveal that Zeiss are unveiling 32mm versions of the FL binoculars at the birdfair tomorrow. This a true exclusive to Birdforum, you will not have heard this anywhere else. Interestingly these 32mm versions use the Pechan prisms rather than the familiar Abbe Koenig prisms, daylight transmission figures are believed to be exceptional.
More news soon.
Andy at the birdfair.

Andy,

Got any specs on these? I have a nice pair of 7x42 binox, but think I could convince myself I need a smaller, lighter pair too <G>.

Clear skies, Alan

Were these binoculars unveiled at Birdfair yesterday? Does anyone have any preliminary comments after having seen them?

O.K. Andy live from the Birdfair. I will see if the Zeiss guys will let me have a few snaps of them tomorrow.
The units on show are very much prototypes in terms of build... the optics are perfect though. Looking through them, what struck me was the brightness of the view, amazing. CA wasn't detectable. More to follow.

Andy Bright said:
O.K. Andy live from the Birdfair. I will see if the Zeiss guys will let me have a few snaps of them tomorrow.
The units on show are very much prototypes in terms of build... the optics are perfect though. Looking through them, what struck me was the brightness of the view, amazing. CA wasn't detectable. More to follow.

I guess you are a bit of a Zeiss-guy nowadays...

Can we trust your completely objective reviews of Zeiss binos....?? ;-)

anyway...I would love to see som pics of the jewels = the new binos..

Andy Bright said:
Looking through them, what struck me was the brightness of the view, amazing.

Andy,

Anybody from Zeiss willing to reveal the actual light transmission figures for the 32mm FL's?

Henry

Last edited:
gorank said:
I guess you are a bit of a Zeiss-guy nowadays...

Can we trust your completely objective reviews of Zeiss binos....?? ;-)

anyway...I would love to see som pics of the jewels = the new binos..
Actually, you would be off the mark there. I stick by my earlier opinion that the Zeiss Diascope 85fl doesn't quite hit the top spot to my eyes vs the Swarovski ATS80HD (and I still prefer the image from the older AT80HD). So I couldn't be accused of being in the pay of Zeiss ...besides, unlike other companies, they don't pay any individuals to promote their products :-(

I don't think there's much doubt from those who have used the FLs that they do provide the best image of a bird vs other binos, it may be minor but I'm not really out on a limb here with my views.

Getting back to the 8x and 10x 32mm FL's ... didn't have time to snap any photos, just too busy, but I do have some press release photos.

Attachments

• 8x32fl2.jpg
    8x32fl2.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 406
  • 8x32flhand.jpg
    8x32flhand.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 412
  • 8x32fl.jpg
    8x32fl.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 336
henry link said:
Andy,

Anybody from Zeiss willing to reveal the actual light transmission figures for the 32mm FL's?

Henry
Some specs from the press pack
F.O.V. 140m @ 1000m for the 8x32
F.O.V. 120m @ 1000m for the 10x32

Min focus is 2m

Weight 580g for the 8x32
Weight 590g for the 10x32

Length 117mm for the 8x32 (eye-cups retracted)
Length 117mm for the 10x32 (eye-cups retracted)

Andy Bright said:
Some specs from the press pack
F.O.V. 140m @ 1000m for the 8x32
F.O.V. 120m @ 1000m for the 10x32

Min focus is 2m

Weight 580g for the 8x32
Weight 590g for the 10x32

Length 117mm for the 8x32 (eye-cups retracted)
Length 117mm for the 10x32 (eye-cups retracted)

Andy,

Any word on eye relief?

Thanks,

Tony

Agree Andy (the FL bit not the Swaro, but that down to the individual).

The Zeiss staff stand stated that the Pechan prism in this model (32 FL) has a higher than normal light transmission normally found in a mirrored surfaced roof prism. Available December IIRC.
The Ultravid 32 was good, as is the Swaro 32 ELs. We certainly have a good selection to choose from, might be interesting to see what the shops have to say and whether we will now get unbiased advice.

Andy Bright said:
Actually, you would be off the mark there. I stick by my earlier opinion that the Zeiss Diascope 85fl doesn't quite hit the top spot to my eyes vs the Swarovski ATS80HD (and I still prefer the image from the older AT80HD). So I couldn't be accused of being in the pay of Zeiss ...besides, unlike other companies, they don't pay any individuals to promote their products :-(

I don't think there's much doubt from those who have used the FLs that they do provide the best image of a bird vs other binos, it may be minor but I'm not really out on a limb here with my views.

Getting back to the 8x and 10x 32mm FL's ... didn't have time to snap any photos, just too busy, but I do have some press release photos.

thanks for the photos..looks really nice...
I see the second hand value of my 8x32 leicas falling like a stone with all these new binos...

Im sure you are as objective as anyone on this forum. Its hard to be more than objective though...=)

CDK said:
The Zeiss staff stand stated that the Pechan prism in this model (32 FL) has a higher than normal light transmission normally found in a mirrored surfaced roof prism.

CDK,

Thanks for your first reply. Sorry to pester you again, but did the Zeiss staff say why their Pechan prism has higher than normal light transmission?

Henry

Eye relief is 16mm.
Light transmission figures are over 92% daylight and around 90% night for the 8x's and very similar for the 10x's. The press pack also states "Schmidt-Pechan prisms with new dielectric mirror layers as a reverse system were used to economise on weight and space"

Andy Bright said:
Eye relief is 16mm.
Light transmission figures are over 92% daylight and around 90% night for the 8x's and very similar for the 10x's. The press pack also states "Schmidt-Pechan prisms with new dielectric mirror layers as a reverse system were used to economise on weight and space"

Thanks for the transmission figures. I wonder, however, if the press pack has the right numbers since they are exactly the same as the light transmission figures for the FL models using AK prisms.

Last edited:
How does the FOV compare to Nikon Sporter 10x36 and 8x36? Mine are at home...

I am trying to get a feel for what 10x32 means. When I see something like 8.5x42, that actually looks close to what I want. The 10x36 I use is a bit narrow for the only pair to carry.

Last edited:
henry link said:
Thanks for the transmission figures. I wonder, however, if the press pack has the right numbers since they are exactly the same as the light transmission figures for the FL models using AK prisms.
The transmission figures I gave are not quite the same as those I have for the 42mm FL's, they were also rounded down by myself to the nearest 1%

Andy Bright said:
The transmission figures I gave are not quite the same as those I have for the 42mm FL's, they were also rounded down by myself to the nearest 1%

Andy,

Some of you have owned and used the EL 8.5/42 for many years. I have a simple question for you.

In your opinion, is the FL going to displace the EL as THE premier birding bin?

I know...it's not a simple question. However, if people are selling their EL's and purchasing FL's either they need the cash to buy the "latest and greatest", or they truly think the FL is the bin they'll use day in and day out. Which is it?

How about Peter Dunne? He helped design the EL and now praises the Ultravid...
http://www.njaudubon.org/NatureNotes/PickPackBinos9-03.pdf

Will Swarovski have to enhance their bins or is the EL line good enough to command the prices they do?

John

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back