• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Toric HT comparison? (1 Viewer)

Curious to know if anyone has been able to get their hands on the new Tract Toric HT and compare them to anything else?
I'd also be interested. I have the original Toric 8x42, which is a very capable binocular. I'd be interested to know if the newer one (whenever its released) has discernible optical improvements, or if the improvements are more mechanical (unlikely: my current Torics are very good in this regard) or simply by way of marketing.

Interest only, though. I like my current ones enough that I'm not looking to change.

...Mike

I think Steve C, who reviewed the original Toric, was going to get the new model, and make a comparison? I’d be interested as well but have no plans to upgrade as my originals are awesome. If they’ve improved them I’m sure it must be a great bino.

According to the Tract Toric website they still don't have the 8x42 with HT glass like they do the 10x42. It seems it is taking quite a while to get the 8x42 upgraded.

Tract Optics website is showing the 8x42 Toric HT as coming soon with an anticipated delivery date of late August.

Still, not seeing reviews here on BirdForum of the Toric HT, or Toric HT compared to the previous model, the Toric UHD. :-C

CG

There may be something to the delay. Tract said they would send one right out, but that was several months ago and I have yet to see it. I got busy with farming and some personal issues and frankly I forgot about it. It will be a couple of months before I have anything like the time needed to review.

While the 8x42 isn't out quite yet you an get a screaming deal on the original model in 8x42. As stated above the originals are outstanding so someone looking for a great bargain should consider the original model at the close out price.

I fiddled with the new 8x42 and 10x42 HT's at a Texas hunting show last week. There is only so much you can do indoors, as going outside was not a possibility. I was able to "compare" them side by side with the Maven 10x which is very nice. About all I could do was try and determine if the whites were really white, black really black, and how well the colors "popped" to my 57 yr old eyeballs, as well as stare at the darkest corners of the building, cobwebs, abnormalities, etc. The new HT's are exceedingly sharp, bright, smooth, and ergonomically superior to the Maven, once again IMO and in those conditions, and my own eyeballs. How much superior to the "original" Torics? Noticeable, not drastic. That's not a negative though necessarily, IMO, since the Torics are just a fantastic piece of glass anyway. Jon at Tract optics is a world class guy as well.

I fiddled with the new 8x42 and 10x42 HT's at a Texas hunting show last week. There is only so much you can do indoors, as going outside was not a possibility. I was able to "compare" them side by side with the Maven 10x which is very nice. About all I could do was try and determine if the whites were really white, black really black, and how well the colors "popped" to my 57 yr old eyeballs, as well as stare at the darkest corners of the building, cobwebs, abnormalities, etc. The new HT's are exceedingly sharp, bright, smooth, and ergonomically superior to the Maven, once again IMO and in those conditions, and my own eyeballs. How much superior to the "original" Torics? Noticeable, not drastic. That's not a negative though necessarily, IMO, since the Torics are just a fantastic piece of glass anyway. Jon at Tract optics is a world class guy as well.

What was noticeably better in the new Torics? Did you compare them side by side with the old ones or are you comments from having used the older model? Thanks

The "old" ones were there too so I could go back and forth. Mainly the colors seemed to have much more "pop" to them, seemed to burst out at you (how's that for technical terminology). When staring at the cobwebs in the dark corners, they were ever so slightly brighter and sharper. The old ones still perform very, very well though IMHO. FOV seemed pretty much the same to me. All of the Torics have extremely smooth working parts, especially the focus. It has the perfect tension IMO.

Thanks. That would make sense since they have new coatings and glass. I love my original models and can’t afford the new ones so was just curious. Jon told me they are considering a 32 mm model and will if there is enough demand. So let’s all write in!

I took my new 8x42 Toric HT down to the sporting good store and they let me compare them to other binoculars. I compared to Zeiss Conquest HD in 8x42, Vortex Razor in 10x42, and the new Vortex Viper HD in 8x42. Inside the store, i could not tell a difference in brightness compared to the Conquest. The Toric was slightly brighter than the Razor but that could be expected given that I was comparing an 8x42 vs 10x42. Resolution was about the same in the models i compared. There was a clear difference in brightness between the Viper and the Toric. We took the Zeiss outside with the Toric. I thought that glare was better controlled in the Toric but just bearly. I could not see chromatic aberration in either. I thought the Conquest was just a slight touch brighter in the full daylight but i had to really go back and forth between them to see it. One thing I noticed was that magnification seemed to differ between the two 8x models, with the magnification slightly higher in the Conquest. All differences were minor and the optical performance was very comparable. We went back in and I once again could no longer see any perceivable difference in brightness indoors. Color seemed equally neutral in both. I wished I could have compared them in low light. I guess I suggest that these are competitive and comparable veiws despite the several hundred dollar difference in price.

Last edited:
I took my new 8x42 Toric HT down to the sporting good store and they let me compare them to other binoculars. I compared to Zeiss Conquest HD in 8x42, Vortex Razor in 10x42, and the new Vortex Viper HD in 8x42. Inside the store, i could not tell a difference in brightness compared to the Conquest. The Toric was slightly brighter than the Razor but that could be expected given that I was comparing an 8x42 vs 10x42. Resolution was about the same in the models i compared. There was a clear difference in brightness between the Viper and the Toric. We took the Zeiss outside with the Toric. I thought that glare was better controlled in the Toric but just bearly. I could not see chromatic aberration in either. I thought the Conquest was just a slight touch brighter in the full daylight but i had to really go back and forth between them to see it. One thing I noticed was that magnification seemed to differ between the two 8x models, with the magnification slightly higher in the Conquest. All differences were minor and the optical performance was very comparable. We went back in and I once again could no longer see any perceivable difference in brightness indoors. Color seemed equally neutral in both. I wished I could have compared them in low light. I guess I suggest that these are competitive and comparable veiws despite the several hundred dollar difference in price.

Awesome! thanks for the report.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back