• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (6 Viewers)

Good morning!
Today we already have 3 Squacco herons at la Gola!

Also one adult Robin, but I believe is the one which seems to stay all year round in the park in the last years.

Regards,
Cristina.

Hi Mike, shame we missed each other yesterday. This morning had a calling Tit that sounded like a Coal Tit, brief obscured views also suggested Coal Tit but Collins Bird Guide don't seem to show the on the islands, are they resident here?
This afternoon whilst at the end of the Punta I watched a shadow in front of me and looked up expecting a Gull, I was surprised to see a pair of Heron flying out to see. On my views probably Grey but they had already passed over me, I may get some more detail when I process the pictures at home!

Ian

Hi Ian
Coal tit is very rare indeed, I only remember one sighting in the last ten years. Sounds an interesting bird. No photos I suppose?
Redstarts at Punta de n’Amer always make me nervous, it is the place where a famous male Moussier’s Redstart was seen some years ago. What a cracker that was. I was very interested to read that only one in ten sightings of Moussier’s Redstart has been a female, leading to assumptions that females do occur at least as often as males, but because they are so similar to female common Redstart, they are overlooked. An interesting theory. These days I photograph every bird I can and then sort them out later if they are in the least bit controversial. I have many photos of juvenile Woodchats.
Herons, both Purple and grey, are on the move at the moment and they can often be seen leaving and arriving on the island around coastal areas.
Mike

Unfortunately no pics of the "coal tit" so will have to scratch that one, did get pics of the Redstart!!

Last edited:
Surprise tick this morning was a pair of Zitting Cisticola in the first open scrub field on the Punta, I had imagined they would only be round areas of reed/marsh but checking Collins it seems to be perfect habitat, even managed some passable record shots. Other bird of note was 2nd Wryneck of trip in a tree in the "Stone Curlew" field. Probably only a couple more visits left to the Punta as we leave early Sunday.

Ian

Last edited:
S’albufera / Could you help with ID please - damaged the auto focus on camera - intermittent issues!

Attachments

• C83EC4AB-EAF9-45E8-90A2-C10966403BE6.jpeg
    C83EC4AB-EAF9-45E8-90A2-C10966403BE6.jpeg
    400.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Thanks. Any ideas on those flying fish and this spider ?

Attachments

• 466D5FE0-BC96-48F3-BB2C-BA9D0F0F7C33.jpeg
    466D5FE0-BC96-48F3-BB2C-BA9D0F0F7C33.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 4761876E-8059-4378-93F6-4BF3BA6D8722.jpeg
    4761876E-8059-4378-93F6-4BF3BA6D8722.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 43
Enjoyable last morning visit to the Punta, nothing new seen but plenty around. With a strong slightly onshore breeze there were good numbers of Scopoli's Shearwaters, well over 20, they were gathering in feeding rafts and at one time I had 11 in view. Also another pair of Zitting Cisticola and a showy Nightingale. Unsurprisingly Odonata have been lacking on the Punta with no signs of freshwater, although I have seen quite a few Red-veined Darters, also had a couple of larger Dragonfly that didn't give good views for an ID. Best sighting was yesterday with a lovely Scarlet Darter that sat nicely for some pics.

Might squeeze a final visit this afternoon, fingers crossed.

Ian

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I agree Fan-tailed Warbler and Sardinian Warbler. The latter looks very brown but I have learnt much about photography since starting out a bit more seriously a couple of years ago. Exposure is a big factor as is reflected light. I know from photographing shearwaters, just how much of the colour of the sea gets reflected onto the white underwing of this species, giving all sorts of ID headaches. Scopoli’s can look like Cory’s at times due to a dark sea.
Not much news yet today. Juanjo photographed a Willow Warbler and a Bonelli’s warbler yesterday at his drinking pool. It just shows what’s out there. Putting water out is such a good idea, not just for the health of the birds, but also it is very surprising what turns up. Mike

Thanks - I had some exposure issues as well as focus so photo quality was intermittent. Did manage some fair photos on ‘little Bittern’ bridge (yes annoyingly camera also ballsed up when LB when into its reed bed)

Attachments

• 7DD54CFF-6BC4-4615-8A64-1077FB178B99.jpg
    7DD54CFF-6BC4-4615-8A64-1077FB178B99.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 33
  • A175ACC0-7CE1-4483-8E4C-631061B9B288.jpg
    A175ACC0-7CE1-4483-8E4C-631061B9B288.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 24
It was nice to have some company at the Cap this morning when Juanjo and Mika turned up. We had a good morning but still a bit early for migrant raptors.
About 70 Common Swift, a few Pallid Swift and one Alpine Swift. A handful of House martins and 25 Barn Swallows.
I believe they both counted about 40 Turtle doves lining the approach road before leaving Mallorca. Also a Willow Warbler and a Crossbill.
Later, a Bonelli’s Eagle was seen.
Mike

Regarding the fish. I agree a Mullet species although I have read that there are 29 species of fish in Albufera. Mostly eels I understand. I was told that there are Carp too but I will try to find out more. Mike

One of the Philips saw 9 Oystercatchers on a small island just off Son Real today, a nice record.
He also saw what he believes was a Little Tern, I haven’t seen one this year so I should have gone walking with him today.
Mike

Regarding the fish. I agree a Mullet species although I have read that there are 29 species of fish in Albufera. Mostly eels I understand. I was told that there are Carp too but I will try to find out more. Mike

As far as I am aware, 42 species of fish have been recorded in the broader s'Albufera, including the bay (according to 'our' 2003 biodiversity catalogue) - but it doesn't include the introduced carp. It includes 5 species of the mullet family.

Eels are present but they are far less common than they once were. I believe I'm right in saying that it's the introduced Carp that have by far the most detrimental impact.

Martin

Last edited:
Back Home

Hi all, back home now and would just like to say thanks to all(especially Mike & Cristina) for all the help and info on this forum. Even though I didn't get away from Punta de n'Amer it was good to read the sightings from other areas of the island. I am processing photos( only 5000ish) and will hopefully post some better ones on here later. I may have a couple of ID queries as well and on that note I'll start with this one.

On my second day I had this Kestrel on 1st view I thought Lesser but finally settled on Common. Pro's for Lesser were unmarked wings , lack of moustache on plain grey cheek and sparse spots on breast. Negatives for Lesser , not sure the leading edge of the wing is dark enough and I think I can make out black Talons(why I settled on Common).

Thought?

Attachments

• 33347CoKe.JPG
    33347CoKe.JPG
    400.5 KB · Views: 145
Hi Ian. Well, as it was seen during your stay then it is most likely to be a Common Kestrel. However, I do agree some of the features look good for Lesser with a lack of moustache, plain grey head and fairly unstreaked breast. I cant quite make out the talons. Hopefully others will comment. Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back