• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ramsey (1 Viewer)

Ramsey Island

Hello all,

Just come back from a week in Pembrokeshire, having spent a day on Ramsey Island earlier in the season (a pair of Perigrines being the main close up attraction then). This time I went down the coast a bit to Skomer Island to be bombasted by Black Back Gulls waiting to rip off the Manx Shearwaters when they fly home to their burrows after a safer day out at sea. Still lots of Puffins there too, late starters, waddling around the paths. Should have some good, close-up photos to show soon.

Also took an early morning boat trip (rigid rib) out to Grassholm for a gander at the Ganets. This small protected island appears like a white topped fairy cake with the icing being thousands of these large white birds nesting a wing span apart amid white patches of their 'white stuff'. Plenty of other birds to see there too, including Shearwaters and Puffins on the water, as well as the chance to play with schools of Common Dolphins (we did with two schools buzzing the boat) and the occasional Minke Whale or two on this day.

Back home now to try and prevent a local Grey Heron from dinning on the rest of my Goldfish!

How does that compare with Ramsey, Cambs?

Have fun

Phil

Hi Phil

welcome to BF. I spent an enjoyable day at Ramsay in June.

Well Ramsey, Cambs can't compare for birdlife. Its got the remains of an abbey, nice gate house if memory serves.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back