• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with some IDs from Cozumel Island (Yucatan, Mexico) (August 2018) (1 Viewer)

arodris

Hi,

I need some help to identify some birds that I saw this past august (11-12th) in Cozumel Island, in Mexico. I send you some pictures (sorry for its bad quality).

All pictures were taken in the southwest coast of Cozumel, near one of the resorts.

In my opinion, they are as follows:

1. Altamira oriole
2. Yucatan vireo (sorry, very bad picture)
3. Cozumel emerald (although I do not see the long tail)
4. Lesser nighthawk
5. Another Altamira oriole.

Thank you in advance,

Antonio

Attachments

• Icterus-gularis_001.jpg
    Icterus-gularis_001.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Vireo-magister_001.jpg
    Vireo-magister_001.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Chlorostilbon-forficatus_001.jpg
    Chlorostilbon-forficatus_001.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Chordeiles-acutipennis_001.jpg
    Chordeiles-acutipennis_001.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Icterus-gularis_002.jpg
    Icterus-gularis_002.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 43
One more bird from Cozumel

And an additional picture.

6. Least sandpiper

Thanks

Attachments

• Calidris-minutilla_001.jpg
    Calidris-minutilla_001.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 49
I am confident you are right on 4 and 6. Red-eyed vireo are migrating south and seen in Quintana Roo in the first week of August, and I am not sure I could be confident if you only have this image to go by. I may return later for more on the others.

Niels

I am confident you are right on 4 and 6. Red-eyed vireo are migrating south and seen in Quintana Roo in the first week of August, and I am not sure I could be confident if you only have this image to go by. I may return later for more on the others.

Niels

Agree with this. I am pretty sure your vireo is a Red-eyed. You can see a bold white supercillium and yellow UTCs that contrasts with white flanks and belly. Almost certainly Red-eyed Vireo. Personally not familiar with the other species you posted photos of.

It seems that Hooded Oriole is by far the more common oriole on Cozumel: https://ebird.org/barchart?r=L221424&yr=all&m=

I do not feel confident but would not be surprised if a young male hooded oriole can look like the first image. On image 5 I think there is even less to go by.

Regarding the Hummer, I believe you are correct.

Niels

Thank you for your help. Regarding the vireo, my first thought was a red-eyed, but I look at the eye, and it seemed to me very dark (could be due to the light?). Anyway, I will keep as red-eyed, if nobody disagree.

The orioles were very difficult to identify. They seem young birds, which increases difficulty.

Thanks again

Some more pictures from Cozumel (Hirundinidae)

Hi again,

I have some more doubts on some additional birds from Cozumel (Mexico) (sorry for the bad quality of the pictures). All these are from the Hirundinidae family. I think that they are as follows:

1. A cave swallow?
2-5. Are all purple martins? Or may be there is any grey-breasted martin?

All seen in the west coast of Cozumel, in mid-august.

Thanks

Attachments

• Petrochelidon-fulva_001.jpg
    Petrochelidon-fulva_001.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Progne-subis_001.jpg
    Progne-subis_001.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 18
  • Progne-subis_002.jpg
    Progne-subis_002.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Progne-subis_003.jpg
    Progne-subis_003.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Progne-subis_004.jpg
    Progne-subis_004.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 13
Hi again,

I have just seen that according to eBird, red-eyed vireo is rare in Cozumel, at least in august. More common in September, when it is migrant in the area. Any other opinion regarding this bird?
And regarding the martins?
Thanks

Antonio

It is correct that Yucatan vireo is more commonly seen, but if you look at the link I included in post 5 you will see that it actually have been seen there in August. I think that the REVi probably is under-detected in Cozumel just like it is in the mainland side of Yucatan - I have birded with a guide during migration that did not even have REVI on his radar.

Niels

Hi,
It looks like a Yucatan Vireo all right. Cozumel Emerald also, yes, it is endemic to the island of Cozumel. The orioles are hard to tell, they can also be hooded.

Saludos,

Diana

Hi, Diana. Thank you for your help. I have been checking the status of the vireo, and it seems correct that red-eyed is migrant in this area in august. I see that this bird has too much white below, bold white supercillium and yellow undertail coverts. This would exclude yucatan vireo, I guess.

I see that my swallow and martin pictures are difficult to identify. Any opinion on that?

Antonio

Hi, Diana. Thank you for your help. I have been checking the status of the vireo, and it seems correct that red-eyed is migrant in this area in august. I see that this bird has too much white below, bold white supercillium and yellow undertail coverts. This would exclude yucatan vireo, I guess.

Antonio

I don't think it's a clear enough image to exclude Yucatan Vireo. The features you describe could look very different in real life.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back