• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best vfm full size scope UK s/h (1 Viewer)

Taxboy

I'm considering upgrading my ageing Kowa 60mm spotting scope. Ideally would like an angled scope with a larger diameter to cope with lower light birding.

I'm happy to look s/h and wondered what the best vfm model is for my budget of £600 or if I even need to spend that much. Any advice appreciated

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. Will do some research

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Hi,

while the Zeiss Diascope in the classifieds is a good deal, it's the 65mm model so not quite full size...

Both the ED78 and the 823 are nice scopes and both come with a quite usable fixed mag EP.
The Nikon offers more eyepiece choice although they are getting more rare now that the old fieldscope series is retired.

Eyepieces for the Kowa 820 series are very rare but Kowa offers an (expensive - $100) adapter which allows EPs from the small body line (600 or 660) to be used.

Considering the price I'd probably go for the Nikon and use the rest for more EPs or a good tripd/head.

Joachim

The old 32x on the kowa seems single coated.I had that eyepiece years ago and never noticed,but got another recently and when compared with other eyepieces i felt the contrast is not the best.The old 50x has better coatings and of course the new 32x shines in comparison..the good news is that the 832 takes the new Baader Hyperion MK IV Zoom.I use that combo and it is superb for the price,giving very little away when compared with top models with wide angle zooms.The price of the nikons is very good, specially the 78,but both are limited to the use of nikon zooms ,and those are not the most friendly to use .They are high power zooms and get quite a narrow view in the low power end .They also suffer from quite short eye relief as power increases .Compared with the Hyperion zoom they are very much a pain to use ,..If you really want to use a zoom for your birding,jump on the Kowa,sell the x32 on ebay and buy a Baader Zoom. If the zoom is not a must,both Nikons are a nice deal..Nikon fixed eyepieces are good ,relatively easy to find AND some astronomy eyepieces can also be adapted to Nikon with good results..

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back