• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

All Ruff? (1 Viewer)

Yes Redshift, unless i`m missing somethin clever all the waders appear to be Ruff.
These appear fairly straightforward, but never forget that Ruff can be one of the most variable waders in both size and plumage!

Hi Redshift

There`s actually five Ruff & a Widgeon in the left foreground,with a partially obscured Widgeon in the background on the right.Hope this makes sense!!
Regards Steve.

Thanks for the comments. I am a beginner so the help with waders is appreciated - especially when they look different from each other!

I had worked out the Wigeon for myself! :brains:

Sorry, Larry, but no. The legs and bill colours of Ruff can be variable. Structure is a better guide. The bill's not long enough for Redshank. Also, the the bird has that head-too-small-for-the-body look that is a distinctive feature of Ruff (and Upland Sandpiper, but we won't go into that!) Plumage-wise, Redshank would show streaky neck and underparts and also a reasonably distinct supercilium (particularly before the eye).

Jason

Thanks, Jason.
Would the Common Redshank have streaky neck and underparts in all plumages? I guess the bicolored bill and reddish legs did not register with me as belonging to a Ruff.

Larry

Hi Larry

Adult winter plumage is far less patterned and more uniform than summer plumage. The neck and breast then look uniform at any distance and, at close range, more mottled than streaked. However, streaking is still apparent on the belly and vent.

Ruffs have orange legs during the breeding season - this can be strong enough to appear almost reddish. They are duller in winter and may go more yellowish. The legs of Juveniles and 1st-winters are yellowish or greenish.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back