• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightroom 2 help with jpg. (1 Viewer)

Pigeon_Pete

Can anyone offer any help on how to retain a quality image when compressing from RAW to jpg . Some of my photos , on here (gallery) for example look washed out and poor colour quality (325k max size for uploading)

I also uploaded a 9mb jpg to Snapfish for processing as a photo and the colour looked washed out in the preview and when I received the photo.

thanks

we need to find out if its aRGB or sRGB. Images for the web and most printers need to be sRGB otherwise they look washed out.

When you export the file make sure sRGB is set.

This may not be the problem but its the first thing to check

Thanks Paul, its all rather new to me. I take it sRGB is the one I should use for web jpegs? Should I use standard or high sharpening for screen images?
thanks

Thanks Paul, its all rather new to me. I take it sRGB is the one I should use for web jpegs? Should I use standard or high sharpening for screen images?
thanks

sRGB for web images and printing (although check with the lab)
As far as sharpening goes use what you think lokks right. I'd go for standard as much as possible but many people do sharpen images more than me. Its personal taste that one.

I'd also check what size you are exporting images at. I'm not sure how the birdforum gallery works but your images have 2 file sizes which, I think, means the gallery software is resizing the images. If thats the case then the images will look compressed.

Thanks Paul, the max on here is 325k, but as you say the images x2 show rather smaller sizes than 325k

ps

your photos look fantastic, wish I could be as good!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back