• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hirundine movement (1 Viewer)

scodger

Sitting in my garden in Knaresborough ( N Yorkshire ) for the last half an hour ( 1300 - 1330 ) there is a noticeable SW movement of mainly House Martins but with some Sand Martins and the odd Swallow. I rarely see any hirundines in this part of the town (other than a pair of swallows which breed about 100m away ) so there is definitely some movement going on, anyone else seeing it?

About 500 gathering (all 3 hirundines) at Prawle Point, Devon, on Friday - looking like they're about to go. Apparently the Swallows have been moving through Devon since July.
Swifts have all but gone now.

I went to Gailey reservoir (Staffs) lastnight 31/08/08 and there was a huge flock of hirrundines over the reservoir and surrounding fields; every line between telegraph poles held loads of the birds.
I was at Belvide reservoir tonight and another decent flock of hirrundines was predominantly Sand Martins.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back