• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellowstone Birding Suggestions (1 Viewer)

BodyResults

Hello,

My wife, daughter and I are planning to spend about 5 days in Yellowstone from about Aug 30th through Sept 3rd. We plan to have time for 2 or 3 half day outings dedicated to birding.

I would really appreciate if I could get some suggestions of good places. My wife and I will both have 400mm lenses for photography.

Thanks
Doug

Wow - these forums aren't exactly hopping are they? I'm going the 18th and have the same questions. Although actually people are telling me that to bird I should go down to Jackson and the Grand Tetons. I don't want to spend all my time in the car but.....
Good luck,
If you see this and post on your trip it could help me........

Hi Mary,

I think I found the definitive source. There's a book called Birds of Yellowstone written by the park Ornithologist, Terry McEneaney. In the book he talks about all the different habitat zones in the park, migrations patterns and lists the top 74 birding areas along with what you can expect to find in those areas. He also has a map of all those points and shows 5 circles within the map of suggested intensive birding areas encompassing many of the 74 spots. The book also has a several page chart showing all the bird identified in the park, time of year to find them, how easy they are and other info.

My library had this book and I'll be taking it with me.

Good luck
Doug

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back