• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Co Longford birding (1 Viewer)

Midlander_ie

Tom Murtagh
Although a registered user of this forum since 2006 ( how time flies !!!) only getting around to posting the occasional sightings from Longford . Hope to post on a regular basis in the future. I'm not sure if there are other birders in this area , if so would be glad to hear from you !!

tom murtagh

Today spotted 5 Ravens in display flight /soaring north west of Granard - ? family unit or some migration type movement - though Ravens were solitary/pairs ? any comments ?

Last week at Durracaun Lough (small laked in Mullinalaghta parish, north west of Granard) flock of 91 mallard - appears to be mainly moulting males !

Last edited:
Hi Tom

Most Raven families should be breaking up at this stage. You will however get "flock birds" made up of non-breeding individuals. They take a few years (3-5) before they reach maturity, find a mate and more importantly a vacant territory. They will roam widely over the countryside joining up with other non-breeding birds at food bonanzas. I had a flock of 18 birds feeding on a dead sheep in a river only last week, one of the bigger flocks I had in Connemara to date. Non-breeders will often form these flocks to overcome the resident pair otherwise they wouldn't get a look in at food sources by themselves.
Territorial pairs usually remain and defend their patch year round. If you see a Raven aerial displaying and calling it's usually a one of a resident pair, non-breeding birds usually wouldn't risk it for fear of the more dominant resident birds.

Dermot

Longford birding

Hi Tom, many thanks for ur note with website details. I have done some Atlas surveying for the current Atlas here in Longford and have also looked in on the Westmeath BWI website. I hope to add some observations from this neck of the woods on a regular basis. I have also dropped by Rahasane and some Galway Bay sites as I have friends in Co Galway and drop by some sites when visiting there. keep in touch ! Thanks again for your comments !

MiLongford Birding

Hi Tom

Most Raven families should be breaking up at this stage. You will however get "flock birds" made up of non-breeding individuals. They take a few years (3-5) before they reach maturity, find a mate and more importantly a vacant territory. They will roam widely over the countryside joining up with other non-breeding birds at food bonanzas. I had a flock of 18 birds feeding on a dead sheep in a river only last week, one of the bigger flocks I had in Connemara to date. Non-breeders will often form these flocks to overcome the resident pair otherwise they wouldn't get a look in at food sources by themselves.
Territorial pairs usually remain and defend their patch year round. If you see a Raven aerial displaying and calling it's usually a one of a resident pair, non-breeding birds usually wouldn't risk it for fear of the more dominant resident ]
birds
Dermot[/QUOTE.

Hi Dermot, thanks for the comment about my Ravens obs. There is a resident pair nearby and was curious about the larger party observed. Probably as you suggest " flock birds" as I was thinking that it would be a bit late for family units still together .
Regards
tom

Longford Birding

Hi Monahawk and thanks for your posting. Hopefully I will be able to keep sightings recorded here from my patch, which is North Longford , Granard/Lough Gowna area. I havn't managed to make it to Monaghan yet to see your Hen Harriers at Bragan , but I've heard good reports ! I see in your recent Monaghan updates that you have Crossbills there ! Havn't come across any here so far but will be on the look out for them !
Regards
tom

Although wet and windy Autumn is with us, there's a reprise of Spring's dawn chorus evident these mild mornings - robins, wrens and even a chiffchaff in song !

Buzzard and a pair of kestrels spotted in past few days here (near Granard).

Although most of our local swallows appear to have departed, we still have a pair with eggs (4) in the garden shed nest, should hatch anyday now, with fledging expected late Sept !! Hope they make it ??

Longford Birding - Glen Lough

Just to advise fellow birders in the Midlands that, with the rising water levels around Glen Lough, it might be worth a look . The location is near Edgeworthstown (53°38'49.02"N 7°34'1.64"W) , taking N4 eastwards (towards Dublin) from Edgeworthstown and turning right after railway station, then second left to Cornapark and Glen Lough.
Drive straight on this narrow road and when you come to the barrier (usually open) drive on to the NPWS gate & signage and follow path on foot to the hide
It's an SPA designated site and has a NPWS purpose build hide overlooking the lake/marsh area.
A visit there last week produced sightings of Buzzard, Wigeon, Gadwall, Raven, Mallard, Water Rail.
Whooper Swan, Greenland White Fronts and Hen Harrier reported here also in winter.
Worth a detour for any birders passing thru or visiting the area !

Winter Birding - North Longford

All quiet to report from North Longford over the early winter. Small numbers of the usual duck species around Lough Gowna.
Swan lake (near Loch Gowna village) is a willdlife sanctuary and had fluctuating numbers of duck over Nov/Dec , averages - 400 mallard, 70 wigeon, 20 teal, 3 shoveler and 1 pintail !
Small numbers of goldeneye and tufted duck also on Lough Gowna.
Crossbill flock (c. 14) in Derrycassin wood (near Granard) on 2.1.12.
Garden feeder over-run with chaffinches and assorted tits , also some visits from redpoll and siskin but no bramblings so far this year.
This morning we had a preview of the coming spring with a dawn chorus attempt from the local robins, wrens, blackbirds and a song thrush, curlew calling from a nearby lake shore! Joyous to behold on this dull but mild and misty morning !

Glen Lake, NPWS site, near Edgeworthstown, Co Longford

Visit to Glen Lough NPWS site & hide this afternoon. C 120 + Whooper Swans on southern edge of lake along reedbeds, some grazing in shoreline fields, figure of 120 conservative as other birds hidden in reedbed pools.
150 + Lapwing overhead. Small no.'s of Gadwall, Teal and Mallard present. Number of Little Grebe heard calling from reedbeds.

Attachments

• NPWS Hide at Glen Lough, Edgeworthstown.JPG
    NPWS Hide at Glen Lough, Edgeworthstown.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Hide at NWPS site, Glen Lough, Edgeworthstown.JPG
    Hide at NWPS site, Glen Lough, Edgeworthstown.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Whooper Swans at Glen Lough, Edgeworthstown.JPG
    Whooper Swans at Glen Lough, Edgeworthstown.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Summer Migrants

Just a note to record arrival of warblers in the area (North Longford).
Visited Erne Head Wood yesterday (24th March) - plentiful birdsong from Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler. From my earlier notes in previous years, the last week in March appears to be the pattern for arrival of these warblers.
Erne Head Wood is a beautiful old mixed deciduous woodland on the shores of Lough Gowna , between Granard and Aughnacliffe village, a bit of the beaten track but worth a visit, great blooms of Lesser Celandine and Wood Anemone there at the minute. Appears to be a suitable habitat for Woodpecker if/when they expand range this far.

Summer Migrants - part 2 !

So far, just one solitary swallow here- first noted 27th March, and still awaiting its colleagues. The March swallow is early, usually they appear in this area around 4th/5th April.
Also a few Blackcap singing in the local woodlands for the past few days.

Summer arrivals

So far, just one solitary swallow here- first noted 27th March, and still awaiting its colleagues. The March swallow is early, usually they appear in this area around 4th/5th April.
Also a few Blackcap singing in the local woodlands for the past few days.

At last, my solitary swallow(early arrival 27.March) has company - influx of swallows to this area in the past few days(18-22 April)
Sand Martins have arrived also to Lough Gowna , in small numbers so far. No sound or sighting of sedgies so far, nor has there been any cuckoo heard yet

Lough Gowna - 23 April'12

1 whimbrel spotted at Erne head shoreline , near Inchmore , southern end of Lough Gowna (Co Longford end). From viewing IrishBirding, whimbrel appear to be popping up all over the place these days en route north !
Also 6 curlew, same site, possibly also migrants ?

Autumn Departures

At last, my solitary swallow(early arrival 27.March) has company - influx of swallows to this area in the past few days(18-22 April)
Sand Martins have arrived also to Lough Gowna , in small numbers so far. No sound or sighting of sedgies so far, nor has there been any cuckoo heard yet

Its that time of year again - the nights draw down earlier and earlier, and with it the departure time for the last of our summer visitors.
The Barn Swallows who arrived here in mid April have departed, last overnight roosting Thurs 27th Sept in the farmyard shed, where, over the course of the summer they raised 2 broods of 5 and 4 chicks. Again the morning and evening skies are empty of the swirling dervishes of noisy swallows ...they are missed !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back