• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sparrowhawks/kestrels-help (1 Viewer)

elaine rowe

Hello everyone im new to a computer,new to the net not very knowledgable about birds but learning fast.Would really like to know more about sparrowhawks and kestrels that suddenly decide to make their feeding grounds in a built up area in a large Yorkshire council estate.I used to see these birds years ago when i was a child but havent seen any for years. Im really pleased to see them again but curious if theres any specific reason. Does anyone know.

Elaine

I can't help with your specific question, but believe me there are plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum who will reply to you - just wait and see.

So let me instead simply welcome you to BF. I'm sure you'll have a great time like the rest of us.

Best of luck with your raptor hunt.

Welcome to BF, Elaine.

Like foxes, both Kestrels and Sparrowhawks have, over the years, realised that there is an adequate supply of food to be had from urban areas. Natural habitats in the countryside have been eroded through intensive farming and the urban
spread of population. Hence the fact that we see more kestrels and sprawks in our inner cities.

Although you will find that sparrowhawks do not forage far from well-wooded areas where they nest.

Kestrels have long been known to nest on tall structures including buildings, cranes and electricity pylons! And these days it is not uncommon to see peregrines in cities and towns either, so keep your eyes peeled!

Hope this is of some help!

I've observed the same. The hawks are just attracted by the food supply.

The Sparrowhawks don't just follow the Pigeons, just think of all those garden birds and the way people attract them with bird tables. It's a positive restaurant !

Likewise the Kestrels which feed on small mammals such as mice. You think lampposts had been designed as Kestrel perches, the way they use them around here. Mown grass verges of course means they can sight a tasty morsel that much easier !

Welcome elaine,

Just a quick note on the Sparrowhawk - I think you'll find everything written above is on the mark. Just to add my two penn'orth - my partner's parents and sister, who both live in urban areas have begun to be visited by Sparrowhawks over the last 12 months.

Nothing for me yet, though.

Out or interest - which part of Yorkshire? If you are close to Doncaster, you could try Potteric Carr for an easy birding trip.

Thank you to everyone for the welcome.Its true our little corner of yorkshire has been grossly overbuilt in the last 20yr.There are also quite a few pigeon fanciers plus a railway nearby so i suppose it makes sense the hawks should move in and yes i put lots of food out through the winter as do some neighbours.Thanks again and i will try and visit Potteric Carr
Elaine Rowe

Hi Elaine and welcome to a great forum. I can't help you with your question, but our sparrowhawks and kestrels will also congregate where food is in good supply. They don't yet have the same problem with urbanisation so we don't often get them in the towns.

Hi Elaine

I'm a newcomer to the "birdforum" but interested in your comments re kestrels.In the past in my area(S.Wales) kestrels were very common and seen quite regularly in my rural area.Now they are rare and appear to be be being ousted by buzzards - who now occupy the telegraph posts and lamp standards.So possibly kestrel are having to move into the more urban areas for their food supplies.Sparrowhawks are still in evidence and visiting my feeding stations regularly!:eat:

Hey Learner wear your L-plates with pride- I do!! We have plenty of Kestrels in my local semi-urban park, even Buzzards pretty often. I've seen joggers pass under their perch without them moving. When I stop and get out my bins its another story of course!! As for railway lines, when I was a railwayman in Manchester we used to stop off in a goods siding in the heart of industrial Salford (cue "Dirty old town") where I would watch a Falcon hunt from a signal post. In none birding days I always thought it was a Peregrine, though it might well have been a Kestrel. So I think they have come to learn that where there is Man there is food to be found.

Elaine and Learner.. I am reading this thread with interest and wanted to say hi and welcome. We have the Kestrel here in large numbers but we also have orchards, vineyards and lots of pasture/range land... lots of food!
We also have SparrowHawks but we just call them something different then that!
Anyway welcome to you both.. and have fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back