• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Free-flying White Storks nesting in Norfolk (1 Viewer)

Dubious tick-ability aside, what's going on here? Wouldn't you need a serious nod from Natural England to get on with this sort of project?

Anyone else uncomfortable about this?

Is anyone else uncomfortable about a commercial organisation, which Thrigby Hall is, releasing and encouraging captive bred birds into the wild?
This is really a non-story
I also have a problem with the program of releasing captive bred Common Cranes into the wild - when wild Common Cranes seem to be establishing themselves successfully - and again by a commercial operation at Pensthorpe
Surely this is only diluting the natural success of wild populations?

It was on Radio 4 news at lunchtime. I can't understand what the fuss is. Surely if two zoo birds breed, at a zoo, whether they are in a cage or not, they are still not wild white storks. I assume white storks breed in captivity in the UK every year.
What next? Wild peacocks?

Well if their successful this pair of white storks the off spring might slowly start to populate other area,s if folk can leave them alone like they do in holland "good luck to them"

Well if their successful this pair of white storks the off spring might slowly start to populate other area,s if folk can leave them alone like they do in holland "good luck to them"

wonder whether the offspring will migrate when it comes to winter or whether they will stick around with their parents?

If they do gradually populate England then fine after all its a European species that I think bred here historically so no issues there.

But these media stories are very misleading. Animals breed in zoos all the time.

I'm still surprised at how the 2004 birds at Horbury Wyke in West Yorkshire were allowed to be disturbed. They had built a nest but it wasn't to the liking of one of the utility companies, who built them a platform which they chose not to use once disturbed. These birds were also free flying and one of them had wild credentials, albeit its radar may have gone wrong. From memory it was a wild bird found in France in an emaciated condition, nursed back to health but then choosing not to fly south. I think the other may have been from the Dutch re-introduction programme. There didn't seem to be much opposition to the nest being disturbed, but I've seen plenty of nests in Southern Europe on power lines etc. It was reported at one stage that a third bird was attracted down.

So, technically the Norfolk birds are not the first to attempt to nest for x number of years.

I also remember one bird attempting to build a nest in Boston Spa many years ago, but it didn't really get beyond a few twigs which were blown off a tower and it gave up. This was likely to have been one of the free-flying birds from Harewood House.

I agree though, I can't really see the fuss about this pair. The free-flyers at Harewood nested a few times.

Still good luck to them.

Saw lots of White storks in southern Spain, and their nests are not small at all

Regards
Kathy
x

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back