• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Bird Book (1 Viewer)

tufty said:
Hi Alan,
that's the link to the page I used to order and I've received the Large Format version, I think it's still available for £15.90, you just need to find something else you need to take it past £19 to get the free delivery, can't remember how much they charge otherwise.

Thanks for that. I'll get it then.

Alan

Re. post 19.

As I said at the Brighton conference

"And still only cost me £18.65 with postage".

That do? ;)

Last edited:
Try looking in the bookshops where they sell books off cheap eg. the one at Carsington Reservoir. I purchased the Wild Life Trust book 'A Field Guide to the BIRDS OF BRITAIN AND IRELAND' which is organised by habitat and written by Mark Golley for £3.99 (Price on the book £14.99). They also had the pocket version which is exactly the same book only smaller and handier to carry around for £2.99 (Price on the book £9.99).

Wildlife Trust bookshop for birds which may be of interest. http://www.wildlifebooks.com/birdwatching/birdwatching.htm

Collins for me, got mine when we joined the RSPB last year. Just noticed you can also get it if you take out a subscription for Bird Watching magazine. I've also got one of the mini pocket ones in the car.

Lars Jonson for me, excellent book, better pictures and descriptions than some of the others that I have. I too have been buying many older books off ebay but nothing to beat this one.

Got the Collins when I joined RSPB and bought other Collins books but still love the Lars best to date. Not too heavy to wander about with.

Happy hunting.

Catherine

Surely the best book since Collins..which is brill..has to be Pipits & Wagtails, even though I can't get along with the sonograms (sorry Tim) this book is just wonderful.

Now how about a good book on Larks or Wheatears?.

John.

john barclay said:
Surely the best book since Collins..which is brill..has to be Pipits & Wagtails, even though I can't get along with the sonograms (sorry Tim) this book is just wonderful.

Now how about a good book on Larks or Wheatears?.

John.

Presumably the 'Larks' book is on the way as Pipits and Wagtails (which I would agree is an absolutely stunning book) was originally going to be 'Larks, Pipits & Wagtails'

martin

Best Book

I was using Collins as a field book but found a book recently in a second hand shop which is brilliant: The Hamlyn Guide to Birds of Britain and Europe, Bertel Bruun, illustrated by Arthur Singer, Hamlyn Publishing Group 1978

The book is full of maps, comparative size drawings, call descriptions, different flight pattern images, silouette drawings, key ID factors, migration factors and seasonal distribution. It is a compact and solid but small paperback ideal for field work. :news:

Not only that, but because its second hand, I don't mind it getting mud splats, pencil scribblings and everything else we subject our bird books to in the middle of a 'birding moment'! :bounce:

The only problem is this edition is thirty years old and out of date re: population numbers I suspect, so I will invest in an updated version at some point.

I like the RSPB Complete Birds of Britain and Europe by Rob Hume (Hardcover). Amazon are doing it for £17.50 instead of £25 incl free delivery, however I got it from a "real" shop WH Smith at 50% off - a bargain.

It includes gorgeous photographs instead of illustrations which I personally prefer, and find easy. It crams tons of useful info on each page.

I think that this combined with the aforementioned Collins guide is a force to be reckoned with.

I also like the RSPB Pocket Birds - which is a slimmed down pocket version of the above monsterous tome.

In case anyone hasn't looked at Amazon UK
they are selling Collins Bird guide - Britain & Europe for £11.89
and Collins Field Guide - Birds songs & calls of Britain & northern Europe
on two CDs for £17.50

Field guides

The collins is I suppose as good as it gets so buying more won't help.

The best thing to do now is improve on your calls and songs, vastly under-estimated as an identification tool. Start by learning ten of the most common and you'll begin to notice the others and gradually pick them off, building up your repertoire.

Stephen Christopher
www.catalanbirdtours.com (from 12.1.06)

Last edited:
Chris Oates said:
In case anyone hasn't looked at Amazon UK
they are selling Collins Bird guide - Britain & Europe for £11.89
and Collins Field Guide - Birds songs & calls of Britain & northern Europe
on two CDs for £17.50

Check out http://www.uk.bol.com for the Collins bird guide

Its selling for 4.99 at the moment.

The Collins book, coupled with the Collins photoguide for me - I like to be able to refer to phot's and illustrations..............

Just starting up again so my books are from the late 80's early 90's. Main ones I use to use are Hamlyn Birds of Britain and Europe by Bertel Bruun and the Shell Guide to the Birds of Britain and Ireland James Ferguson-Lees, Ian Willis, J T R Sharrock. The Collins book would appear very popular, is this the book to have now or am I ok with what I've got? |:S|

Wild Bill said:
Just starting up again so my books are from the late 80's early 90's. Main ones I use to use are Hamlyn Birds of Britain and Europe by Bertel Bruun and the Shell Guide to the Birds of Britain and Ireland James Ferguson-Lees, Ian Willis, J T R Sharrock. The Collins book would appear very popular, is this the book to have now or am I ok with what I've got? |:S|
Oh the shell guide what a cracking little book that is. My copy was loaned to someone who obviously wasn't a friend as I never got it back. I think Bill that you have to think about getting the collins guide, the paperback version is available here
www.uk.bol.com
at £4.99

Keith Dickinson said:
Oh the shell guide what a cracking little book that is. My copy was loaned to someone who obviously wasn't a friend as I never got it back. I think Bill that you have to think about getting the collins guide, the paperback version is available here
www.uk.bol.com
at £4.99

Thanks Keith for your vote of confidence on the Shell book, it is nice. Sorry you didn't get yours back. Wasn't me who borrowed it. |=)| I think I will take your advice and get the Collins book. You never can have enough books on a subject!

Cheers,

Bill

Wild Bill said:
Thanks Keith for your vote of confidence on the Shell book, it is nice. Sorry you didn't get yours back. Wasn't me who borrowed it.|:D| I think I will take your advice and get the Collins book. You never can have enough books on a subject!

Cheers,

Bill
You're right there Bill. If you think that you've got enough books on birds that's an admission that you haven't :'D

As well as Collins and the MacMillans I'd also recommend a look at Dominic Couzens - Identifying Birds by Behaviour. Its acts as a complement to the standard field guides, with some nice illustrations and text showing how species fly, swin, feed etc.

I've got the Hamlyn book (had it since I was a kid) but don't find it a patch on the Collins. The Collins fits into my waistcoat inside pocket and accompanies me on every session.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back