• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please give Never and always birding advice. (1 Viewer)

jon hardacre said:
Always be prepared to help a fellow birder who has started on the 'journey' we all had to start at the beginning.

Thank you ! Much appreciated thought...

Always take Mars bars when going on a walk :bounce:

Never take much food (especially sandwiches) on a boat in the Lake District, you'll get loads of gulls and more than likely not very uncommon ones. Something I might have to remember next week.

Always trust your wife's eyesight over your own.

Never admit to the wife that you trust her eyesight over yours.

Vivicam 3945, tasco 'marginally better than the naked eye' scope, adapter made from old ice cream carton with rubber bands and paperclips and a bracket from a bit of homebase aluminium with a bodge job, glued on nut for a second hand shutter cable.
And a lot of patience/swearing.
And a Megxon C580 which can't even focus on an egyptian goose at 10 yards.

www.tonykeenebirds.co.uk

jimmy2faces said:
Stiffkey fen - boxing day this year.

Returned to the car minus underwear

too much info Jimmy, thank god you didn't find a rare, I'm not sure the local committee would've appreciated the detail ...

Always go for the tick at once - going early increases score rate

Never pass on a bird just because it was found by a known stringer, most of them know what's what, they have to to know what to claim and when.

John

Today I lost my patience and gave up on a bird because a wet unleashed dog came to greet me. I had a quick look at the Vireo and figured it was probably one of the common Vireos that I was less familiar with and just jotted down a couple of notes. Later upon checking a field guide I wondered if it might have been a Philadelphia Vireo.
Never assume a bird is just another common bird unless 100% certain that you know what it is.
Always make the effort to relocate an unidentified bird while you have the chance or you may regret it later.

Last edited:
lvn600 said:
but only had a quick look at it before a wet unleashed dog came up to greet me.(I don't like it when that happens.)

[rant]Try living in 'a nation of animal lovers'. I may buy a pistol to solve some of this problem when out and about. It's a really bad problem where I live - people come out with up to six dogs, all without leads (or leashes, for our US viewers...), which then decide to circle you while snarling. Then the owner starts giving you some very sour looks for distracting his dogs. Said dogs then start to run through nesting areas for some quite rare birds (Dartford warblers and woodlarks), completely messing up any chance of photos (from the paths only...).
It just seems that most dog owners resent everyone else for being out in the country.
That and a lot of places are like minefields of dog dirt...
It's bad enough that it's also an army training range with constant explosions and tanks...[/rant]

colonelboris said:
[rant]Try living in 'a nation of animal lovers'. I may buy a pistol to solve some of this problem when out and about. It's a really bad problem where I live - people come out with up to six dogs, all without leads (or leashes, for our US viewers...), which then decide to circle you while snarling. Then the owner starts giving you some very sour looks for distracting his dogs. Said dogs then start to run through nesting areas for some quite rare birds (Dartford warblers and woodlarks), completely messing up any chance of photos (from the paths only...).
It just seems that most dog owners resent everyone else for being out in the country.
That and a lot of places are like minefields of dog dirt...
It's bad enough that it's also an army training range with constant explosions and tanks...[/rant]

i feel your pain,there is a good wood near my home with nuthatch and possibly lesser spotted woodpeckers,trouble is it's now become an established
dog walking area,also screaming children acting more like a troup of monkeys
(they should definately be on a leash) as they accompany their parents
through this woodlands trust site.

in rural areas dogs tend to be quite protective of their owners while out walkies but generally they will only bark and posture.
admittedly not always pleasant when the beasts start circling as you say.

matt

neilmc said:
Never take novice female birders to stake-outs at sewage farms.

Neil,
It sounds like there must be a story here. Personal experience? I imagine some girls might fail to see the romantic possibilities of sewage!

Never say never - anything can happen!

Always assume it's common until every likely species has been eliminated completely - common birds are common, rare birds are rare.

Menzie

Last edited:
Never drop your mobile phone on a 4 hour walk along dense field boundaries

Never assume you'll be able to find it again by retracing your steps while ringing it from another mobile.

Never assume the battery will last long enough for you to get to the point you dropped it and hear it ringing.

Always keep your phone in a secure pocket!

So if anyone finds a mobile with a dead battery lying ot the edge of a field at Nafferton farm, Northumberland let me know!

Always check yer nuts for ticks after flogging agricultural wetland for Red Necked Pharope...
Never, never leave the head in when you remove it..

I **** you not people. Its been two days now looking for a quiet alley to go and have a good scratch.....

buzzard12 said:
Always check yer nuts for ticks after flogging agricultural wetland for Red Necked Pharope...
Never, never leave the head in when you remove it..

I **** you not people. Its been two days now looking for a quiet alley to go and have a good scratch.....

Never, ever flog agricultural wetland naked; you're guaranteed a red neck on yer phalarope!
Always check your ticks for nuts. :t:

- never sleep in during peak migration , even if you are hung over
- always get the kids involved " what bird is that anya ? "

Never give up on identifying that hard-to-indentify bird until you either succeed or it flies away.

Always consult multiple guides, as one may have critical ID information that the others do not.

Never take your cat birding with you.
Never call 5 humane societies at once about an injured osprey and then be left wondering about its fate (guilty)
Never neglect to try to get a good look at terns.

Always have a good meal - or at least some nice cold SoBe - after birding.
Always try to hunt down the source of any bird calls.

Always leave your scope at home - you're bound to spot a LBJ that you just can't quite identify with your bino's.
Never look up when ther's a large flock of geese flying overhead!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back