• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blyth's Reed Warblers et al, summer ringing '06 (1 Viewer)

I was ringing in last night and I noticed that main part of night singers have stopped their singing. I catched only 4 Blyth's Reed Warblers. Also I found Icterina Warbler, which was nice observation too. I heard only one Thrush Nightingale. Funny thing happened last night, when police came to ask on my doing. Mosquitos caused displeasure to me very much and now itching to the hands and head.

Total ringing sum now:
Blyth's Reed Warbler 45
Marsh Warbler 5
River Warbler 2
Grasshopper Warbler 1
Sedge Warbler 2
Pied Flycatcher 1

and control:
Pied Flycatcher 1

Last edited:
I ringed Pied Flycatcher's 7 chicks from my nestbox in this evening;
Here you see one of them...

Last edited:
High there Hannu, got a good few in my boxes too this year, both garden and land. My Tawnies will get their jewellery this week too :)

Jos Stratford said:
High there Hannu, got a good few in my boxes too this year, both garden and land. My Tawnies will get their jewellery this week too :)

Hi there in the South, Jos !
How your ringing goes ?

Excellent Mid Summer Party to you ! :t:

Nice to see all your photos of Blyths reed, and Marsh warblers-i have only seen both a couple of times over this side of the North sea.

mossy

mosstrooper said:
Nice to see all your photos of Blyths reed, and Marsh warblers-i have only seen both a couple of times over this side of the North sea.mossy

Thanx Mossy. I have to attach few pics more later to the thread, because these species are quite favour among (Brits ;) ) birders and also id of these species causes headache to many birders.

Hi Hannu,

finally get my Marsh Warbler today, caught in the garden. Thought it was not going to come.... also Bee-eater on the island today so a good day B :)

Attachments

• Marsh Warbler4_22.06.2006 resized.jpg
    Marsh Warbler4_22.06.2006 resized.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 127
probably slightly off tangent (excellent shots by the way Hannu and Paul) but just wondering how often, if ever, either of you have trapped Grasshopper Warbler with minimal amounts of upperpart streaking and/or reduced marks on ut covs?

London Birder said:
probably slightly off tangent (excellent shots by the way Hannu and Paul) but just wondering how often, if ever, either of you have trapped Grasshopper Warbler with minimal amounts of upperpart streaking and/or reduced marks on ut covs?

If I remember right, streaking varies quite much in the breast and flanks, but not so much in ut covs. Ut covs are always quite heavy streaked, but e.g. breast can be nearly without any marknings.

Fair Islander said:
Hi Hannu,

finally get my Marsh Warbler today, caught in the garden. Thought it was not going to come.... also Bee-eater on the island today so a good day B :)

good news indeed & nice pic,
I have to catch maybe 2 Marsh Warblers from my local patch and I'll waiting that first Lanceolated Warbler(s) will find too in our province during next 2 weeks.

ahh ok, reason I ask is that we (myself and a couple of other birders) were shown a Gropper straight out of the net with ut covs which showed almost imperceptable streaking in the hand, and effectively none in the field .. just wondering how regularly this occurs (incidently it showed minimal streaking on breast/flanks) ... thanks Hannu, didn't want to divert thread.

London Birder said:
ahh ok, reason I ask is that we (myself and a couple of other birders) were shown a Gropper straight out of the net with ut covs which showed almost imperceptable streaking in the hand, and effectively none in the field .. just wondering how regularly this occurs (incidently it showed minimal streaking on breast/flanks) ... thanks Hannu, didn't want to divert thread.

It may be so that the streaking varies in all parts quite much, but the variation is more common in the breast and flanks. This phenomenon is in Lanceolated Warbler too. I have to check that detail,...

I checked the detail
In Grasshopper the streaking is often centred on the lower throat and upper breast and the lower breast is often completely unstreaked. The utcovs are always heavily sportted in Grasshopper. (Vår Fågelvärld 48 (1989): 335-346).
Grasshopper Warblers with heavily streaked breast and flanks occur more regularly in Finland than in Denmark and Sweden.

I discussed with one Finnish Ringer, who has ringed over 100 Grasshoppers, and
he said that the breast and flanks can vary from one side to other (without streaked to heavily streaked) and ut covs varies only slightly. But if you or your friend have pics from the catched bird, I would like to see those with pleasure. Here you will see Grasshopper Warbler's ut covs from 2 individuals...

Last edited:
the 'minimal streaky' bird I saw was at Portland, taken out of the nets by either MC or an assistant .. I remember the marks on the ut covs being distinctly less obvious on any of the pics so far ... I'll hunt out the date in my notes and contact MC direct to see if he still has the pic .. same morning as a Cetti's was pulled out, not a common bird in the nets there

The ut covs in 2nd pic in post #35 reminds a lot Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler's utc, because Svensson says: PGW's flanks and under TC pale rufous-buff, latter tipped whiter (and longest sometimes with fine shaft-streaks)/ page 158, Lars Svensson, Identification Guide to European Passerines.

And the first one's ut cov's streaks in same post is quite fine, quite clear-cut and nearly without any diffuse and triangular, which is quite untypical for Grasshopper Warbler.

Latest ut covs in 3rd individual (post #38) is more typical for Grasshopper Warbler, black-brown, diffuse, triangular and reaching to the base of the feathers.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back