• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzard Movement (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi Guys,

I received the following query from a pal of mine who regularly birds at Bough Beech Reservoir in Kent - to set the scene a little, in this neck of the woods we are pretty much at the Eastern end of the Buzzards' expansion area.... 20-30 miles further West they are pretty common, but around here still relatively unusual, but becoming commoner I would say.

The sightings below though would be unusual, maybe even unprecedented.....

I was wondering whether ....

1. Any of the local (Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex) birders had seen these birds on their travels.

2. General thoughts on whether these birds were more likely to be migratory, and perhaps part of a larger movement that might have been noticed on continental Europe, or whether they might just be local birds that have decided to gather together and be more showy (for whatever reason)

Anyway - any thoughts gratefully received.....

Rgds.... Ruby

"Last Monday 15th Jan down the Res (Bough Beech) from 11-30am to 14-30pm I had 35 plus buzzard sightings all the birds appeared from a North Easterly direction and drifted across the res and most disappeared in a South Westerly direction.

Some of the birds were local as they got up to join the others.

At 11-30am I had 7 birds in the bins as one group, then 2 got up from the wood on the right as you stand on the causeway looking at the North Lake they all drifted across the causeway or the right hand side off the res most disappearing SW.

At about 12-00pm Midday another 7 birds seen from the NE on the right side off the res in this group of birds one was a Goshawk which I had mistaken for a buzzard with the bins but with the scope a Goshawk seen well over the causeway.

At about 13-00pm I had 4 or 6 birds on the left side off the res 4 at one time in the bins then two min’s later 2 more these I think were local birds all moving from the NE to SW.

At we had 10 buzzards from the NE on the left side off the res moving SW most disappearing SW.

Now my very long winded question is from the various bird groups you two regularly receive e-mails from, have you had any reports of movements of buzzard on this day.

I can account for at least 6 or 8 birds being local to the area but there are about 25 birds all moving SW which I did not see go back past me or over me, at the time I though it was the same birds moving back out of sight but I am not so sure now as I have never see so many buzzard’s at the res."

i have not seen any buzzards this year,but they are becoming increasingly regularly sighted in the essex area,i have heard reports of two being seen regularly over the summer and autumn on the farmland around upminster but i was told this only the other day and have not seen them for myself,but the lady that reported this to me works at a local forestry centre and is a very knowledgeable birder.I saw about 20 buzzards on seperate occassions aroundd south and mid essex last year compared to 3 the year before so there is no doubt in my mind they are spreading.

Thanks Robert,

What we can't really understand is, assuming that these birds are not local, how come no-one else seems to have seen them either to the NE or SW of us - in either area, Buzzards in those numbers would be a notable sighting....

I will ask around this area if anyone has sighted any over the last few days,pretty sure non has been reported in this area but i could be wrong,will se if i can find out

Just got back from a weekend away.

This is certainly a very notable record. I hope it will be submitted.

This sort of movement is usually restricted to spring and even then the number is high. I wonder if the mild weather is affecting them?

It is great that the population of Buzzard in Kent is increasing rapidly. I now see them from the house (in Ashford)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back