• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in the time of Coronavirus (1 Viewer)

The loosening of lockdown rules has meant busier days, so I didn't devote much time (actually no time at all!) to birding today. Jay, Chiffchaff, Black Redstart, Blackbird and Swift were the only species seen/heard. Hopefully tomorrow, but I do need to decide what to do with this thread!

The loosening of lockdown rules has meant busier days, so I didn't devote much time (actually no time at all!) to birding today. Jay, Chiffchaff, Black Redstart, Blackbird and Swift were the only species seen/heard. Hopefully tomorrow, but I do need to decide what to do with this thread!

Keep it going :t: And quit the tennis and do more birding :)

Nothing to report today as it rained most of the time with only the most obvious species seen/heard: Blackbird, Wood Pigeon, Jay, Collared Dove.

Also the day was blighted by the news of two Golden Eagles killed in different parts of Italy: one in the Marches, central Italy and one in South Tyrol, the latter a female sitting on two eggs.

:-C

On the way to the tennis club this morning I had the usual Swifts and House Martins and Common Redstart and Firecrest once I was there. Also seen from home in the morning: Tree Sparrow, Serins, Blackbird.

The afternoon drive around our patch started well with excellent views of two Honey Buzzards then Corn Bunting and Cirl Bunting. A couple of km downhill a Short-toed Eagle, then Swallows, a Buzzard and Goldfinches. Driving around the tracks of the Val d’Orcia we had Green Woodpecker, Melodious Warbler, Nightingale, Zitting Cisticola, Turtle Dove, Crested Lark, Jackdaw, Skylark, one male Montagu’s Harrier, one Hobby, 2-3 Kestrels, a couple of Bee-eaters, Wood Pigeon, and heard a Great Reed Warbler. Also the ubiquitous Corn Buntings everywhere. On the way back up the only new species was a Stonechat.

Sounds like a very nice patch - especially as I've never seen Melodious Warbler . . .

In which case I'll remind you that you've an open invitation to come over & stay with me at my little house in Spain. It'd be a pleasure to show you Melodious Warbler and much else ....

Sunny, clear blue skies, not too windy for a change. First bird out of the window was a Hoopoe, then the usual Black Redstart, Jay, Serin, Blackbird, Tree Sparrow.

The afternoon drive brought three new species for my "enlarged" lockdown list: Red-footed Falcon (actually 2 of them a female and a sub-adult male), Whitethroat (how had I managed to not see one so far?), Little Owl (in the middle of the afternoon sitting on a wire!), and Golden Oriole (heard only). Among the other things: Short-toed Eagle, Corn Bunting, Blackcap, Nightingale, Jackdaw, Zitting Cisticola, Wood Pigeon, Green Woodpecker, Turtle Dove, Crested Lark, a Kestrel mobbed by a Hooded Crow mobbed by a Swallow. Also Skylark, Woodchat Shrike, Buzzard, Whitethroat, Bee-eater, Stonechat, Goldfinch. I also heard Cuckoo and Cirl Bunting.

The morning was quiet, with Great Tit, Robin, Chiffchaff, Swift, Hoopoe and Tree Sparrow. In the afternoon I had to drive to a town on the other side of the mountain to buy a new fridge, since ours is sadly about to leave us. G couldn’t come with me as he was on call duty and had to stay in the immediate vicinity of home.

Going up the mountain (from roughly 900 m. to 1200) all I heard was Chiffchaffs and the odd Chaffinch. Further up, around 1300-1400 m where it’s all Beech with some conifers also a couple of Firecrest and a Black Redstart around the hotel in the clearing at 1400 m.

Approaching the electronics store a Hoopoe flew across the road. My purchase completed and delivery arranged I decided to drive back the long way with a couple of strategic stops around a area we often visit, especially in spring and late summer.

As I was climbing the short (and narrow!) track that leads through woodland to the observation point a dark-morph Red Squirrel crossed the track just in front of me - such a long time since I had seen one! At the top I parked by the side of the track, got out and had a good look around, seeing a distant Montagu’s Harrier. Whitethroats were singing from the brambles and gorse all around and two Cuckoos were calling.

I retraced my steps and drove a few km along the main road to get to the turnoff for one of the local hotspots, knowing that I wouldn’t be able to go all the way up (1100 m) because of the very low clearance of my borrowed car. I drove about 50 metres up the track and stopped to look around, seeing a family of Stonechats, a couple of Linnets (good! no. 86 on my list) and a male Montagu’s Harrier, this time very close. In the next field there was a Hare (didn’t do too bad mammal-wise today) with Corn and Cirl Buntings calling nearby. I failed to find a Red-backed Shrike, which was what I was looking for, but I would have had to go further up the track.

I started back towards home, hearing Long-tailed Tit, Great and Coal Tit and Mistle Thrush. The last addition to the list was a Blackcap singing next to the garage when I got home.

Below is a photo from where we saw the Monty yesterday, with "our" mountain (1738 m) in the background. Actually I 've just noticed that yesterday I forgot to add the Monty to the list, never mind, it was the same place as the day before!

Attachments

• rose.jpg
    rose.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 28
In the morning I walked with the offspring to the area of the former mercury mine as I had to film her playing volleyball against a wall, an assignment from her PE teacher. Swifts above, Common Redstart and Cirl Bunting singing, a male Black Redstart hopping on fences nearby. Walking back a Jay flew in the chestnut trees along the street. Back home, Chiffchaff heard from the kitchen window and Serin singing from the roof of the next building.

During our afternoon drive there wasn't much around: a Buzzard sitting on a post just out of town (it was still there when we came back two hours later, with a Cirl Bunting on the wire next to it). Distant views of Roller, Montagu’s Harrier and Short-toed Eagle. The usual Corn Buntings and Skylarks. The only thing of note was a Yellow Wagtail on a wire, a bit late for being a migrant - wonder what it was doing as we have never seen them here before. No. 87 on my list!

No time dedicated to birding today. Chiffchaff heard at the back throughout the day apart from the warmest hours. At the tennis club the usual Firecrest and Common Redstart, Swifts and House Martins around, plus the usual Blackbirds and Tree Sparrows.

Even less birding done today, as we were all involved in helping the teenager finish her technology project, which is virtually due tomorrow. Also the new fridge arrived, which involved moving stuff to various coolers and then back in.

Chiffchaff still singing in the morning and a Blackcap too. Swifts and House Martins around, also the usual Blackbirds, Serin and Black Redstart. I also heard briefly the Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Below some pics of the finished project. Spot the birds... maybe I should put them on the iD forum? ;)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    690.2 KB · Views: 33
  • birds.jpg
    birds.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    662.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 29
Nice. :t:

Is there a Golden Oriole female (on a roof), Pigeon and Little Owl?

The two birds on the roof are the same species Wari! 3:)

Thanks guys, it was a hell of a job which was finished in time thanks to my dad, who is a DYI enthusiast!

Today the by now usual Chiffchaff was singing at the back, with Swifts and House Martins around. Firecrest and a very confident Black Redstart (singing two metres away) at the tennis club. Last night we found out that our car had a flat tyre, so after tennis I went to the garage to have it fixed (they couldn't ... it has to be changed) and made the most of my visit by checking their nests while I was waiting for the verdict. At least 4-5 House Martins' nests under the eaves and 3 Swallow nests INSIDE the garage (in the past they have had up to 5 nests!). Also Italian Sparrows nesting in the building, one of the few places in town.

The first expedition (not too far away, but outside our local patch) since the beginning of lockdown is planned for tomorrow afternoon, so stay tuned!

The much longed for afternoon expedition didn't happen after all, as the replacement tyres didn't arrive. And tomorrow's forecast is rain and cold. Oh, well there's always Saturday I guess.

From the window the usual Chiffchaff, Swifts, Black Redstart, Serin, Chaffinch, also a very vocal Blue Tit (hadn't seen one for a while), a couple of White Wagtails, one stray Swallow, and Cuckoo heard not too far away.

Cold and miserable as per forecast today.
First bird out of the window was a Robin, the usual Chiffchaff was singing. Swifts above, Black Redstart on the roof opposite, a Great Tit, White Wagtail, Serin and 2 Hoopoes. That's all folks!

Bloody cold in the morning: 6C at 6.30am with a stiff northerly breeze and scattered clouds still hanging on to the mountain after yesterday's rain. Chiffchaff and Swifts out of the window, Firecrest and Chaffinch at the tennis club, then again at the back Black Redstart, Common Redstart, Hoopoe, White Wagtail, Blackcap, House Martin.

After lunch G and I departed for our short expedition, the first of its kind since the beginning of lockdown: we were going to have a look at some sites roughly an hour's drive from here. En route we had a Great Spotted Woodpecker, Zitting Cisticolas, a Roller or two, the Yellow Wagtail of a few days ago in exactly the same place on the same wire! Corn Buntings everywhere, then approaching our first destination 3 Short-toed Eagles in a 1 km stretch of road.

When we reached the lookout on a ravine along a long and bumpy track we were dismayed to notice that there were zero Bee-eaters, when the place used to teem with them. Instead it was pretty dead: there was a Kestrel, a Cuckoo calling some distance away, Goldfinches, a Sardinian Warbler warbling somewhere below the track (no.88 on my list!), and then, in a galaxy far far away something which made us hold our breath for a few minutes until we had to admit that we were looking at a Peregrine Falcon (no. 89) and not at a Lanner.

We decided to take a shortcut to the next site, a track which winds through lovely hilly countryside but is in very bad shape. Our remaining car being a 4WD and having driven this same track many times on we went, only to realise that since we had last been here, probably a year or so, the situation had deteriorated to the point that we had to turn back and use the normal road.

Turning off it onto yet another track which starts in a tiny hilltop hamlet, a Common Redstart flew in front of us. Then we drove to another lookout on another ravine where we saw yet another Kestrel, another Short-toed Eagle, a couple of Jays and heard Golden Oriole, Cirl Bunting, Long-tailed Tit and Nightingale.

Driving back towards home we stopped in our local patch (the Yellow Wagtail was still there! Must be a decoy ;) ), where we had Skylark, Crested Lark, Bee-eater, Greenfinch, and finally a long overdue Red-backed Shrike (no.90!).

Climbing up the mountain we saw a Hobby, 2 Honey Buzzards and a Subalpine Warbler.

Very nice! :king:

I want to say that I'll probably stop using this thread as from Wednesday when the lockdown will officially be over. I may start another one along the lines of Rosbifs and Wari, we'll see!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back