• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss 8x32SF as your main binocular (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
In light of Troubador's superb review of the 8x32 and comparing to a few others, could the 8x32 be your main binocular?

I know there is a poll around here someplace with binocular size preferences and while 8x42 is the winner, followed by 10x42, the 8x32 is right up there.

How comfortable would one be having a 8x32 as your main bin? Many would like to see a 7x35 so it makes sense that between 8x32, 8x25, 7x35, that many would prefer a smaller binocular. Is this the future?

In light of Troubador's superb review of the 8x32 and comparing to a few others, could the 8x32 be your main binocular?

I know there is a poll around here someplace with binocular size preferences and while 8x42 is the winner, followed by 10x42, the 8x32 is right up there.

How comfortable would one be having a 8x32 as your main bin? Many would like to see a 7x35 so it makes sense that between 8x32, 8x25, 7x35, that many would prefer a smaller binocular. Is this the future?

I'd be 100% comfortable with an 8X32 as my "main" binocular as the SV 8X32 is my "main" binocular. If the SF 8X32 didn't make it to be my main binocular is would be because of something else, not because it was an 8X32.

I was using an 8x25 as my 'main' binocular until it disappeared... I rarely had complaints.
An 8x32 would be more than competent.

I can't comment on the 8x32 SF and the lustrous field of view that I am very eager to see for myself, but I was under the impression back when I had the 8x32 EL, that "this is it... this is the only binocular I will ever need". And while it fit most of my needs, including some basic stargazing, I felt like I needed a more dedicated night time/high power binocular in my arsenal for tripod viewing. In the end, as I mentioned in another thread, the EL 8x32 had to be returned because of pressing fiscal concerns. I now have a different binocular for day time viewing which meets almost all my needs, but I certainly wouldn't feel "whole" without my 15x56. (I left out the names etc... because I want to keep this thread focused on the SF 8x32).

If you are using your binoculars predominantly during the day, I would find it hard justifying needing a second binocular :)

I have grown very comfortable with the 8X42 format, sure I will check out the new SF out off curiosity, but I have some great 8X32s, and they just don't give me the relaxed views to my eyes a good 8X42.

Andy W.

I have grown very comfortable with the 8X42 format, sure I will check out the new SF out off curiosity, but I have some great 8X32s, and they just don't give me the relaxed views to my eyes a good 8X42.

Andy W.

Andy...this is critical for me 'just don't give me the relaxed views to my eyes a good 8X42". I know I have tried 8x25's in the stores so not in the field and I felt like they were just too small, not comfortable, no ergonomics etc..... Having a Zeiss HT, I know the value that comfort has upon the eyes as well as the hands. I imagine the SF8x32 will have it. I will also like to try the Swaro 8x32EL, Leica Ultravid...but just am not venturing into the stores as of late to actually hold them in my hands and check a few off of my list.

But in all cases, comfort, comfort and comfort have to connect equally to optics.

Last edited:
I'd be 100% comfortable with an 8X32 as my "main" binocular as the SV 8X32 is my "main" binocular. If the SF 8X32 didn't make it to be my main binocular is would be because of something else, not because it was an 8X32.

Chuck...you have had a ton of bins...where do you see your SV's fitting in relation to the current flock out here now? ...mainly the Leica, Swaro, Zeiss...? ... toss in any more you want to as well:) jim

Additionally, in 8X30/32 I still appreciate the Nikon EII and SE as they provide stereoscopic views that roofs cannot provide.

Andy W.

Exactly.

I use 32mm as often as 42mm and when you consider that I only got my first 32 in 2012 as an experiment because I had a sneaking suspicion they were 'children's binos' only to find out they can deliver everything I need for 95% of the time. This was a big turnaround for me.

So endorse everything that Chuck says.

Lee

Hi,

I usually take an 8x30 pair - the few minutes more observation time at dawn or dusk are not worth carrying the extra weight all the time...

Joachim

I assume that the SF will be capable of being my main bin. My current main bin is the 8x42SF because I like it better than any other 8x32 or 8x42, and I'm very keen on a smaller version of the same thing.

While of course I've not seen the 8x32SF, I do find myself thinking that it will be more competition for my 8x42SF rather than something to complement it - sort of hard to imagine needing both? And no matter how fantastic the 8x32SF is (or the 8x32EL, for that matter), neither can displace an 8x30 CL or MHG if you like that size and format.

I own several of the best 8x32 models but none is as easy on the eyes when it comes to quickly flicking my attention about the FOV (i.e. engaging in off-axis viewing) as is a full-sized bin, so unless the SF eyepiece has overcome what is likely an inherent limitation of the smaller exit pupil of any 8x32, I am sure it will not become my main bin. For me, such darting-eyes viewing is part of the joy of combing the visual landscape (with or without bins) for birds and other things, so although smaller bins do the job for making IDs (and thus my main travel bins have been Leica 8x20 Ultravid and Leica or Zeiss 8x32 format in the past and are now Zeiss 8x25 Victory), they do not allow for the unrestricted viewing that makes me happy to be alive. The view through little exit pupil bins feels restricted, even when the field is wide; like looking though a rifle scope it is all about putting the target in the center of the view. I don't enjoy that feeling.

--AP

I own several of the best 8x32 models but none is as easy on the eyes when it comes to quickly flicking my attention about the FOV (i.e. engaging in off-axis viewing) as is a full-sized bin, so unless the SF eyepiece has overcome what is likely an inherent limitation of the smaller exit pupil of any 8x32, I am sure it will not become my main bin. For me, such darting-eyes viewing is part of the joy of combing the visual landscape (with or without bins) for birds and other things, so although smaller bins do the job for making IDs (and thus my main travel bins have been Leica 8x20 Ultravid and Leica or Zeiss 8x32 format in the past and are now Zeiss 8x25 Victory), they do not allow for the unrestricted viewing that makes me happy to be alive. The view through little exit pupil bins feels restricted, even when the field is wide; like looking though a rifle scope it is all about putting the target in the center of the view. I don't enjoy that feeling.

--AP
I can understand that.... I haven't been down this 32mm road before so I will really need to look at them in person as yes, the 'happy to be alive' and viewing the landscape is as much of birding photography as the focus of the bird, or the intangible like of how the bins feel in your hands. But Chuck and Troubador both can see how 32mm can work. Lots of good information coming about 32mm's as of late on this forum. Great stuff

I think it is easy to see any 8x30 binocular as your main binocular. The way I look at it is simple.

I do think 30mm is the minimum objective size, and the preferred power of 7 to 10 power.

None of the pocket types qualify in my mind. That means anything 7x30 to 10x56 can easily serve to
be the one binocular that can do it all for anyone for general use.

That is often the case for many users, one binocular can do it all, you get used to it, and enjoy.

Jerry

I remember this photo from an old thread on here, here is Chandler Robbin's, Bushnell 10x50 binocular.
He was a famous US birder, and this was his favorite tool for birdwatching.

I also like Steve C.'s signature, "Do the best you can, with what you have, where you are" Teddy Roosevelt.
This says it all.

Attachments

• 3173109880_39ab0443e8.jpg
    3173109880_39ab0443e8.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Many good comments with different points of view, and I see merit in every one of 'em!

I agree you could make do with only one. I'd probably default to an 8x32, just for the combination of weight, size, and performance. More of a practical choice to cover travel, and carrying other gear. Right now the Swarovski 8x32 would do that job for me. However, I'm mainly using 8x42 and 10x42 the past few months, and I like them both. Balance, view, ease of use... much of what Alexis said resonates with that choice.

8x30 and 8x25 have their purpose, but they are more fiddly to use. Of course you can get used to any of them in a short time. Joachim, don't you usually bird with a scope and bins? Thanks for posting that photo of those well used old binoculars, Jerry. I've seen birders with some pretty beat up bins, but not with that much 'character'.

-Bill

Hello,

MY 8x32 Zeiss FL has been my main binocular for years. The only thing better is to have a 6.5x and a 10x together.

My only caveat is that for dawn and dusk observing, which are prolonged at higher latitudes, more aperture would be useful. At 41ºN, that is not a problem.

Stay safe,
Arthur Pinewood :h:

Chuck...you have had a ton of bins...where do you see your SV's fitting in relation to the current flock out here now? ...mainly the Leica, Swaro, Zeiss...? ... toss in any more you want to as well:) jim

I would certainly say the SV 8X32 is as current as can be! Once you buy good stuff, it doesn't tend to fall out of favor for quite a while. Would A SF 8X32 supersede the SV 8X32? That's something I just don't know. Yet.

I would certainly say the SV 8X32 is as current as can be! Once you buy good stuff, it doesn't tend to fall out of favor for quite a while. Would A SF 8X32 supersede the SV 8X32? That's something I just don't know. Yet.
I don't know if an SF 8x32 will supersede the EDG 8x32 either. Time will tell. It is going to have to be very good.

...could the 8x32 be your main binocular?

How comfortable would one be having a 8x32 as your main bin?

Depends tremendously on the type of birding you do, which is...?

The best all-rounder is still the 8x42, for my money (ideally 8.5x for me as the slight but noticeable extra reach is surprisingly useful at distance); but no doubt in a lot of situations and for a lot of folks, a quality 8x32 works perfectly well or better (easier handling, smaller weight/bulk etc).

I suspect a lot of EL SV or FL 8x32 owners will take some convincing to shell out for the 8x32 SF, but could see those with older (eg. pre-Swarovision ELs, non-HD Ultravids etc) or sub-alpha owners looking to upgrade picking the SF over the others.

My last 8x32 was a Leica Ultravid HD. I sold it off when I got the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25, and I have the 8x32SF on order.

I doubt the 8x32 will replace the 8x25 as my EDC jacket pocket binoculars, but it will certainly be the "in-backpack binoculars for when I am not making a trip specifically for birding", as 8x42 will take too much space in the backpack when there is also a laptop, iPad Pro and camera with a couple of lenses including a telephoto or two.

I don't know which qualifies as my "main" binoculars. In terms of usage, the Zeiss 8x25 by a wide margin, but in terms of enjoyment, it's still the EL SV 8.5x42.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back