• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (1 Viewer)

Dave_A

I know there's the 'Got a Norwich list' thread that has been used as a general Norwich birding thread, but I thought maybe there's enough interest to have a Norwich birding thread? On a similar vein to 'Norfolk Birding' thread, albeit commoner birds might included if they are locally interesting/noteworthy.

On that note, a drake Goosander was briefly at UEA yesterday, first time I've seen one this winter, tho I heard they've been seen on the river a couple of times.

Dave

Indeed. I'm involved in the Patchwork Challenge and regestered UEA so will put good sightings on this thread and I really would appreciate any news for UEA and West Earlham Marsh from folks. Cheers.

Marsh harrier :
Seen around 1 pm Thursday afternoon , over Newmarket road heading north. It seemed to have come from cringleford direction.
I viewed it from my garden , along with a rather smart Fieldfare .I wondered if any one else has had any sightings of this species over the city in recents years?
I Good bird to see over urban surroundings!
Shaky

Whitlingham Great Broad is about three quarters frozen today. Handily, one of the open areas of water is opposite the visitors centre, and that is where the Slavonian Grebe is. Also a Goldeneye and a maximum of 132 Pochard (several flew off after that).

In a bit of open water near the bird screen there was another Goldeneye and three Shoveler. A Treecreeper and a Water Rail completed the trip.

Whitingham Lane is icy in places, fine going one way but tricky when meeting cars (and Norwich are playing at home later today so there will be quite a few people parking along the Trowse end).

Regards,
James

Whitlingham Great Broad is about three quarters frozen today. Handily, one of the open areas of water is opposite the visitors centre, and that is where the Slavonian Grebe is. Also a Goldeneye and a maximum of 132 Pochard (several flew off after that).

In a bit of open water near the bird screen there was another Goldeneye and three Shoveler. A Treecreeper and a Water Rail completed the trip.

Whitingham Lane is icy in places, fine going one way but tricky when meeting cars (and Norwich are playing at home later today so there will be quite a few people parking along the Trowse end).

Regards,
James

Wont be frozen for long, the freeze is over, double figure (positive) temperatures this week coming.

That's a fairly big increase in pochard, isnt it?

Wont be frozen for long, the freeze is over, double figure (positive) temperatures this week coming.

That's a fairly big increase in pochard, isnt it?

I was surprised it was that frozen to be honest, bearing in mind the Great broad was completely open for quite a bit of the cold weather.

Yes, my highest count this year was 32 before today, and although I don't count everything on each visit I doubt I've seen more than 40 on my other visits. It looked even better as they were all on one half of one open pool so quite a concentration. Interestingly this seems to almost be the peak capacity, the highest count I know of is about 145, and there have been several other counts of around 140 during periods of harsh weather.

Attached is a photo of the Goldeneye. I was looking at it when my fiancee pointed out the 'evil-looking' reflection!

Attachments

• Goldeneye 26-01 (800x601).jpg
    Goldeneye 26-01 (800x601).jpg
    254 KB · Views: 288
Marsh harrier :
Seen around 1 pm Thursday afternoon , over Newmarket road heading north. It seemed to have come from cringleford direction.
I viewed it from my garden , along with a rather smart Fieldfare .I wondered if any one else has had any sightings of this species over the city in recents years?
I Good bird to see over urban surroundings!
Shaky

That is good. I have seen one over fields to the North of the city (near Hellesden) but not over city. I am now living near Reepham and yet to see a migrant one here either! Red Kite, Buzzard seem to be more regular (aside from the resident raptors)

S

Surburban birding

A number of pine trees have been planted on the edge of the long-stay car park at Norwich Airport. A goldcrest in one of them this lunchtime. (New species for here.)

Always the chance of something in the fields north of Hellesdon, west of the airport runway and A140 main road. The large number of wood pigeons there suddenly all flew off. I picked up a raptor - it was a peregrine flying low, south-west over the first field north of the line of houses west of the road.

What do I count as "Norwich"?
I include the suburbs to the north and locations within the southern bypass as the boundaries of Norwich for birding purposes.

I would assume the same regarding Norwich birding boundaries Paul.
I drove by sweet briar road retail park near asda's on ring road yesterday and noticed a large finch flock but was at speed and hadn't time to check it out.
Well I went back today and counted at least 80 x Green finches-My largest count for this species in the Norwich area. In fact it made a nice change from not seeing a Gold finch!
Couldnt see anything else in among them but as i left still a few more finches came in from the back.
Anyway for any one interested they all dropped down into some lower trees to roost . A good number for this area no?

I would assume the same regarding Norwich birding boundaries Paul.

Yeah that's about what I'd say too, but doesnt have to be strict. eg. Marlingford is just outside bypass but I kinda think of that as Norwich.

Anyway for any one interested they all dropped down into some lower trees to roost . A good number for this area no?

Yeah nice roost for city, especially as I imagine the cold might have hit them hard over the last few weeks and numbers probably dropped.

Chris Durdin has compiled a wildlife report for Thorpe Marsh on behalf of the NWT, which can now be downloaded from his website here. Chris leads monthly walks at Thorpe and also posts sightings from his visits there, so the website is worth bookmarking if you regularly visit that part of the city.

Regards,
James

Great morning out and about in the UEA area. Started with at least four nuthach in Blackdale Plantation. Half a dozen waxwings and a bramblingflew over by the feeding station at the East end of UEA Broad. The star bird was an adult type Caspian gull on the playing fields with fieldfare, mistle thrush and a buzzard overhead. Shock 'Patch Birds' were on West Earlham Marsh with three tufted duck and a pair of shoveler. Really, really buzzing at the moment.

Great patchwork, Nick. Very much looking forward to getting out onto my patch tomorrow morning.

Seems to be a movement of Cranes in the county today. 6 over Lynford and this morning 9 over Morrisons in Norwich, not far from Whitlingham. Our Broadland birds tend not to wander until Spring, I think, so could this be an influx from somewhere?

Cheers,
Jim.

Cranes would be a coup and real good patchbird! 6 pointer if self found. I hope you get some goodies tomorrow. I may head out again if the weather holds up.

6 over the patch (Costessey House Private Estate) at 12:15 this morning, same 6 then seen at Lynford I believe.

Joseph

Attachments

• IMG_4320.jpg
    IMG_4320.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 228
6 over the patch (Costessey House Private Estate) at 12:15 this morning, same 6 then seen at Lynford I believe.

Joseph

Fantastic Joseph! Although I'll admit to being more than a little green as those probably went over my patch (Costessey GPs) soon after you saw them! At that exact time I was in the garden scanning the sky hopefully as Andy Musgrove also reported a flock of Cranes this morning ("non bins" views of a flock of 9 over Whitlingham heading towards Norwich).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back