• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August moths (1 Viewer)

Jersey Tiger Moth.

Sitting at home this lunchtime I noticed something bright out the corner of my eye, flitting about the garden. Dashing out into the garden I managed to locate what it was - a nice Jersey Tiger. Not unexpected in London (SW18) but a new species for the garden. Popped back in to get the camera and managed to get a couple of shots of it, while balanced on top of a step ladder as it was about 10ft up a tree.
Martin
Yes a beautiful moth, I was just trying to Identify what form This one was I think it is the red form, I have the red and yellow form Together On the cover of my Observers book of larger moths by R. L. E. FORD Revised Edition, Frederick Warne & Co Ltd. London, England 1974
It mentions in this book that the species was more or less confined to the County of Devonshire where it occured in Colonies in several places, so Pleaseing to see the successful spread of this moth in 41 years I,ve not Looked But possibly spread its range further than london, as a kid in the 60,s I remember my dad bringing back from work specimens of the Garden Tiger Moth which used to get caught up in buildings or lighting, and I also found The Larva often in the garden not sure what food plant it ate, but have never Come across any adult moths myself and no Larva since a kid, "woolly bears" we called them, would love to see them back sometime perhaps even With a Jersey Tiger Moth

Coal Tit.

Last edited:
Hi Coal Tit
Perhaps a forlorn hope. When I first moved to London I used to find Garden Tiger larvae on some nearby allotments and would also see the moth quite regularly but not since the massive decline. To see it now your best chance is near the coast as it's all byt disappearred from central England. Let's keep hoping, though.
Martin

August Moths

Hi Coal Tit
Perhaps a forlorn hope. When I first moved to London I used to find Garden Tiger larvae on some nearby allotments and would also see the moth quite regularly but not since the massive decline. To see it now your best chance is near the coast as it's all byt disappearred from central England. Let's keep hoping, though.
Martin
Hi Martin, So sorry to hear about the massive decline, when Did this happen? such a attractive moth their wings always (as their name tiger Moth) always made me think of the bi plane and the same markings on the Wings if those markings ever existed, yes there is a good chance I have,nt Seen a garden tiger specimen since before 1970 I thought that very odd as Time went on thinking how common they were as a kid, it just goes to show How you can miss out on things under your nose, If not keeping Informed, thou I was Informed and knew it was happening because of Information recieved the last time any similar thing happened to me was When the Corn Bunting started to Disappear from the big flocks I could Remember recording in the winter months and early spring in derbyshire it Happened all so quickly as elsewhere in the country too

Coal Tit.

Hi
The information about the decline came from the published results of about 60 years of the Rothamstead Insect Survey Light trap network.
The situation with Garden Tiger is worse than I said. I just picked this up from part of the Butterfly Conservation website: "These include the Garden Tiger and its familiar 'woolly bear' caterpillar (down 92% since 1968)".
Shocking figures!
Martin

August Moths

Hi
The information about the decline came from the published results of about 60 years of the Rothamstead Insect Survey Light trap network.
The situation with Garden Tiger is worse than I said. I just picked this up from part of the Butterfly Conservation website: "These include the Garden Tiger and its familiar 'woolly bear' caterpillar (down 92% since 1968)".
Shocking figures!
Martin
Hi there, I wonder why this has happened, 1967/68 is Exactly The time I remember seeing the larva perhaps even 1969, I can,t Remember Any news about the decline happening at all and I have seen a few papers relateing to moths since this period but no mention of garden tiger Disappearing which I thought I would have done when at this scale of decline, Yes shocking figures Indeed.

Had my first and only Tiger Moth last year! And yes I can remember them in the late '50's very common. However a question...having dealt with a "decline", has anybody noted an increase in Hornets?

Over the last few years I've had the odd one..then two...earlier in July I had 6 on consecutive nights, and currently tonight up to 12 so far! They seem to be "strongly" attracted to my Actinic, and mostly are often found moribund, or going that way in the morning.....has anybody else noted an increase?

Cheers

Last edited:
August Moths

Had my first and only Tiger Moth last year! And yes I can remember them in the late '50's very common. However a question...having dealt with a "decline", has anybody noted an increase in Hornets?

Over the last few years I've had the odd one..then two...earlier in July I had 6 on consecutive nights, and currently tonight up to 12 so far! They seem to be "strongly" attracted to my Actinic, and mostly are Often found moribund, or going that way in the morning.....has anybody else noted an increase?

Cheers
Hi Ken, It was on may 16th last year I saw My first "Ever" hornet in my conservatory, to start with I was unsure what I Was looking at its size Impressed me compared to a wasp, it was quite active But stayed to one side of the conservatory going up and down The glass, full of excitement (Like a big kid :-O) I could,nt resist videoing it in a glass jar before releaseing it outdoors and down loading the video on to Birdforums tv link, I have never seen a hornet anywhere before so to get my First record at home was exciteing, like anything you see that is new but More so being at home its surpriseing what you see at home if your Lucky And look long enough PS I titled the video queen hornet which I believe was wrong, I would Imagine Their bigger?

Last edited:
PS I titled the video queen hornet which I believe was wrong, I would Imagine Their bigger?

Hi Coal Tit,
Can't comment on the size of the ''Queen''...If she is larger? that would be a sight to behold!

I reckon it's either climate change or...a nest ''not very far away'' :eek!:

First Vestal for the garden last night and bang on cue the first Old Lady of the year. I have only recorded them between 30th August and 10th September, but every year without fail.

No Common Wainscots this year at all which is strange.

Last edited:
August Moths

Hi Coal Tit,
Can't comment on the size of the ''Queen''...If she is larger? that would be a sight to behold!

I reckon it's either climate change or...a nest ''not very far away'' :eek!:

Hi Ken, yes anything is possible there, I,ve not checked up to see if the queen hornet is bigger I,m looking forward to finding out on google etc if she is bigger She would certainly make a good photo if it was possible, I have a fig tree Outdoors and this year Ive decided from now on any fruit that is on There The Blackbirds, the wasps, and any butterflies can have the fruit has it Does Me no favours any more, shame because I enjoyed them, but the wasps love The figs, I,m sure if there was any hornets around they would be drawn to Them to.

Last edited:
First Vestal for the garden last night and bang on cue the first Old Lady of the year. I have only recorded them between 30th August and 10th September, but every year without fail.

No Common Wainscots this year at all which is strange.

Interesting...as I have had Old Lady's normally singles intermittently and sometimes on consecutive evenings since Aug.20th...and just a couple of Com.Wainscots.

Cheers SWEssex.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back