• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk in Nebraska today (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
Lancaster county

Attachments

• IMG_6858b.jpg
    IMG_6858b.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6859b.jpg
    IMG_6859b.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6862.jpg
    IMG_6862.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 19
Took the liberty of lightening the shadows and increasing the brightness of the first pic here. No dark patagial marks. 4 "fingers". Lots of narrow banding in the tail. I'd call it a lightly marked juvenile Broad-winged.

Attachments

• Bird.jpg
    Bird.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 35
That would be good, as I do not have it for the year or that area. It does not nest in the county..or state.

Last edited:
Lincoln, Nebraska is in Lawrence County.

As noted above the picture in post #2 is a Broad-winged Hawk and it is migrating south from either Alberta, or Saskatchewan, or Manitoba where they have summer breeding grounds to the Coastal Bend of Texas and from there to its winter grounds in s. Mexico or Central and South America.

See the summer range map of the Broad-winged Hawk at page 253 of Wheeler's "Raptors of Western North America."

Bob

Last edited:
My reviewer says it’s a red tail. Wings are longish and bot broad at tail.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
My reviewer says it’s a red tail. Wings are longish and bot broad at tail.

I was leaning that direction myself until I lightened and brightened the pics. This one is the second one you posted. Like the first, it also shows no dark patagial marks, which are very reliable marks on a light morph Red-tailed.

Attachments

• Bird.jpg
    Bird.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 27
I think the reviewer has seen all possible red-tails state wide. It was one of them birds that "could be something", that is why I took a picture, in migration.

I still think it is a Broad-winged Hawk, Juvenile. In the picture in post#2 it shows 4 primaries and the thin line down the center of its throat seen on BWHawks. The tail looks like it has thin banding in both pictures. Picture in post#6 looks overexposed but the wings are "tulip" shaped and there seems to be a dark band along the end of the tail.

Last edited:
Agree with Broad-winged. The bird lacks dark patagials, the wing shape is wrong, and the underpart pattern wrong (Streaks are on upper breast, not a belly band) for Red-tailed.

Andy

OK I have sent those comments to the reviewer. My personal take was that the bird was smallish and the brown streaks side of head are not the usual smudgy brown of red-tail heads. Juveniles can have some streaks. Overall shape of my bird seems to be an exact match to Kaufman picture of broad-winged.

Last edited:
The eBird reviewer has a day job, so he gets to these once a night. I had our state reviewer, who writes the rarities report that includes eBird as well as other sources, look at the pics. He agrees with broad-winged. He has been finding good raptors himself through the years.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back