• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Out about in Southern Nevada (1 Viewer)

BCoop

Canvas Tents Rock
Howdy,

I've been reading these forums and alot of folks are depressed that the shorter hours of light mean more hours of dark. But I live in one of the most beautiful places on earth and when it gets dark it's to the refracting telescope or the night vision Nikon digiscope I go. One thing for sure is that here you can't shovel sunshine! Our last snow was 1/2" two years ago and schools were closed for days. Hey, pack your bags and visit the great southwestern desert city of Las Vegas, Nevada. Right in the heart of the golden west! Actually, it's only nice here in the fall, winter and early spring. And every chance I get to get out and about even for three or four hours seems like a mini-vacation. The last trip I took was Sunday, October 5, 2008 to Calville Bay, Lake Mead, Nevada.

Now consider Lake Mead(I'm not a good tourist guide, maybe I should start a blog), it has 110 mile shoreline, that is a heap of walking. But if you are a birder that's nothing, right? Well to shorten the story, I and my wife have a tandem kayak. Boom! We hit the pavement and it's only about an hour to the Lake. Calville Bay where we went this past Sunday is 14 miles past that first hour, so we were there in no time.

I've been a professional industrial photographer for over thirty years so photography is second nature to me and a kayaker since I learned to swim and just recently decided that I might as well share a little bit of my birding with everyone to enlighten one's perspective.

It seems most people when they head for Lake Mead think of beaching, swimming, fishing, sailing, I have hardly seen another kayaker or anyone willing to photograph birds out here as I(I'm sure they are there, just hiding behind some boulder or mountain). We paddled around Calville Bay and saw plenty.

One cove we entered had thirty-two Great Blue Herons, hundreds of mud-ducks(American Coots), Western Grebe by the basketful and plenty of Cormorants to shake a stick at. In another cove we found two bald eagles, a short-tailed hawk, a few dozen mallards and a few crows. I've only been a member here since last earlier this week when looking for something to do, that I stumbled upon BF. I'm glad that I did and I'm glad my wife likes camping more than I, because this weekend we are camping at Echo Bay, Lake Mead. That is just 29 miles north of where the 14 miles ended.

Hey, if you ever get to Vegas, shoot me an email and I'll buy you or make you the darn espresso you ever had! I love espresso and birding! Do you think I should blog??B :)B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back