• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field Guide to the Birds of Colombia: Second Edition (1 Viewer)

The tyrannulet and wren pages on amazon look like a vast improvement indeed. If that is the case throughout, it's worth buying. The depictions in the 1st edition were just terrible. Still wouldn't travel without Birds of South America (Passerines) though!

The tyrannulet and wren pages on amazon look like a vast improvement indeed. If that is the case throughout, it's worth buying. The depictions in the 1st edition were just terrible. ...........

What a leap forward! I compared most of the sample pages on Amazon.de with my first edition. Aside from splits, there are lots of species that got more pictures. And some species, like the Slate-colored Coot will only now become distinctive.

There is one sample page on mammals. Thus they include at least some of the larger ones as well.

Last edited:
I could not find this edition on Amazon.com for a comparison. Still, I also liked the review and it is probably in my future

Niels

Looks superb from reviews read. Looks like a January 2015 release here in the UK..... cant wait :t:

Is this date still valid? We are getting awfully close to the end of January. And checking various sites, it looks rather like the book has already become unavailable where it had been available previously?

Is this date still valid? We are getting awfully close to the end of January. And checking various sites, it looks rather like the book has already become unavailable where it had been available previously?

I see NHBS now lists this book for a February 2015 release. Preorders are possible. So there is light!

At least as of today (Feb 7) it's reported as available at Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Field-Colombia-McMullan-Thomas-Donegan/dp/0982761554/

Gary H

Thanks Gary! I think last time I checked they did not have one. It said something about limited availability, and I could not order. Now it says 1 is available. Well, I have just ordered that one. Let's see whether they run out again now. They only ship within the US, but I now have a trip planned for summer, so I can then pick it up at my son's place.

Last edited:
I see NHBS now lists this book for a February 2015 release. Preorders are possible. So there is light!

Just got this from NHBS:

"I am writing regarding your recent order for 'Field Guide to the Birds of Colombia'. Due to publishing delays we will not be receiving stock in February as previously advertised. We are confident that we will receive stock in 2015, though at this time we cannot be more specific about when this might be"

The light may not be as bright as once thought ...

Keith

Just got this from NHBS:

"I am writing regarding your recent order for 'Field Guide to the Birds of Colombia'. Due to publishing delays we will not be receiving stock in February as previously advertised. We are confident that we will receive stock in 2015, though at this time we cannot be more specific about when this might be"

The light may not be as bright as once thought ...

Keith

looks like its gonna be too late for my April trip..... :-C

looks like its gonna be too late for my April trip..... :-C

Unless you buy from another source. gdhunter's link still lists it as available.

For such a trip, I think some extra postage would be well worth it. And in case you already own the first edition, it would still be worth it.

Last edited:
Unless you buy from another source. gdhunter's link still lists it as available.

For such a trip, I think some extra postage would be well worth it. And in case you already own the first edition, it would still be worth it.

Cheers Robert, however I am unable to purchase it as it has shipping restrictions outside USA and will not allow me to proceed to checkout

Last edited:
Cheers Robert, however I am unable to purchase it as it has shipping restrictions outside USA and will not allow me to proceed to checkout

Gary's link was to Amazon in the US. Try make a search on Amazon.co.uk for the ISBN number of the book - sometimes that will take you places that cannot otherwise be found at Amazon. I purchased a privately published book that way a few years ago.

Niels

Several years ago I read comments by a top birder that Tudor was probably the best to paint South America birds that the person had seen. Depending on where you are going, there probably has not yet been better. It is, however, not up to date taxonomically in all cases, a few mentioned subspecies are now full species.

Having looked at bit at Ecuador (going there later in the year) the field guides there are not up to Tudors standard.

I may not bring it myself (weight limits of luggage), but it is definitely going to get some work once I return home.

Niels

Hi, I guess you mean that one: http://www.nhbs.com/title/161302/birds-of-south-america-passerines ?

Could you comment a bit on this book? Would you say that it is useful and worthwhile lugging along, even if a good country guide (like Birds of Colombia or Birds of Peru) is available?

It is considerably more field-friendly than the massive two-volume set upon which it is based, but that's a low bar (in terms of portability)! This "field guide" covers only the passerine species, but it covers all passerine species known to occur anywhere on the continent as of the publication date. It's about the same size as the Hilty Venezuela guide (2003) or the Hilty & Bown Colombia guide (1986). If I have it with me when I finally arrive (and more generous baggage allowances may tempt me), it will be as a reference to consult in my room sorting out any ID puzzles encountered during a day in the field.

Gary H

Sorry about that, I did not remember as I had ordered the book to be sent to a US address. There are some stupid rules, also in Europe. At times, I can't order things to be sent to my Swiss address from Germany. :C

Edit: I tried Niels' suggestion and came to a rather surprising result. You could get the book via Amazon.ca for around 125 Canadian Dollars. And the book would be shipped from Oregon in the USA. The steep costs probably come from high Canadian taxes and whatever. But you might try to get directly to that source in Oregon. At least, Amazon.ca allows international shipping.

I did not pursue the matter any further, but the idea of using the ISBN numbers obviously is an interesting way to go.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back