• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pilling Lane Ends ,Lancashire (1 Viewer)

Swift

Pilling Marsh (Pilling Lane Ends)

One of the best birdwatching sites in the Fylde area, Pilling Marsh is situated at the mouth of the Lune estuary, at the southern side of Morecambe Bay.
The Pilling Lane Ends Amenity Area car park just off the A588 at SD414495 serves the area and the birds can be viewed from the car park or along the footpath to the west. Observers should take care not to disturb high tide wader roosts.

The site is best visited two to three hours before high water on tides exceeding nine metres.

The huge wader and wildfowl roosts hold large numbers of Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Knott, Dunlin, Curlew and Redshank with smaller flocks of Grey Plover, Golden Plover and Bar-tailed Godwit. Waterfowl include Pink-footed Goose, Shelduck, Mallard, Teal and Wigeon with small numbers of Great Crested Grebe, Brent Goose, Pintail, Goldeneye and Red-breasted Merganser. The saltmarshes hold large flocks of finches, pipits and skylarks with occasional Twite and Snow Bunting. All these birds attract raptors and two or three Peregrines are often seen hunting the waders. Sparrowhawk and Merlin are often seen, with Short-eared Owl appearing in some winters. During very high tides the waders resort to the reclaimed marshes by the A588 and good views can be had from a car.

Spring and autumn migration periods bring varying numbers of Golden Plover, Little Stint, Curlew Sandpiper, Ruff, Whimbrel, Spotted Redshank, Greenshank, Green Sandpiper and Common Sandpiper. Not surprisingly a number of rare waders have been recorded including Avocet, Dotterel, Pacific Golden Plover, Pectoral Sandpiper, Buff-breasted Sandpiper and Collared Pratincole.

The whole area, including the pools and planted areas around the car parks, attracts many migrants. The embankment is a good vantage point to observe visible migration particularly in autumn when large scale movements can be seen. The most frequent migrants are Meadow Pipit, Wheatear, Whinchat, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Goldcrest, larks and wagtails. Rarer species reported in recent years include Black Brant, American Wigeon, Marsh Harrier, Osprey, Glossy Ibis, Richard's Pipit, Lapland Bunting and Long-tailed Skua.

I got my first ( and only ) Snow Goose at Pilling a long long time ago ( 1987 I think )..............I seem to remember Fluke Hall and Glasson Dock ( fairly nearby if memory serves me correctly ) are also pretty good..............

Stuprice68
There have been a few more Snow Geese since then, Fluke Hall is a mile or so to the West there is a wader roost just off there and in the woods you sometimes get Brambling.
Glasson Dock/Condor Green is a few miles further round the bay to the East in the last 3 weeks it has had White Winged Black Tern,Little Egret (still scarce this far up North) ,Little Stint, Curlew Sandpiper etc.

I can not believe you left the herons off your list. I come from " down south" but stayed at Poulton-le- fyld quite often on my way to Scotland. Lapwings were in great numbers almost in every field

There was a Tundra Bean Goose reported there today. Does anyone whether it has just arrived or has it been there for some time? Also what time of day was it seen (in relation to high water).

Many thanks,

This spot is rife with Little Egrets at the moment.

Bring a scope, though, because the tide line isn't close to you and access to the marsh itself is prohibited.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back