• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 500DG Super flash with 60D (1 Viewer)

Help!
I've just purchasesd a 60D (and I'm very happy with it), but when I tried to use it with my Sigma 500DG Super flash, it did not recognise it.
I presume this is because the flash is now fairly old (but it supports ETTL). I suspect it might need a software upgrade, but I cannot find anywhere on the web for this. Sigma don't even seem to support the flash anymore!
Any ideas?
(apart from buy a new flash!)
Denny

For it to work you`d probably need to use it in manual mode.I suspect its the module in the flashgun that needs upgrading(if one is available that is)

Steve.

Get in touch with your Sigma office and check with them.
The 50D had issues with their flashes that required an update to the flash unit by Sigma. Based on your flash serial number they should be able to give you more than a guess what could be done.

I've sent an email to Sigma, but so far, no reply.
I have been using it on a Canon 300D - very successfully.
I thought I had sorted it yesterday when I found a setting in one of the menus that had to be disabled for 3rd party flash units, but it still didn't work.

I'm now going to try it wirelessly.

It worked!!
Using the flash off-camera in the wireless mode, I am able to get it to fire and give good exposure. Well, so far. I set it as the slave and use the camera's pop-up flash to fire it. By giving a 4:1 ratio in favour of the off camera (Sigma), I am getting good modelling on a toy clown. I now need to try it "in the field" (or back garden to be precise). I will probably need to alter settings to get the right balance, but at least I am not having to buy a new, expensive flash unit. (hopefully).
Thanks for everyone's comments. Watch this space.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back