Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Info Required for August Trip

Old Thursday 23rd June 2011, 18:10   #1
brianfm
Botanical Birder

Info Required for August Trip

I've been asked if I would post this on behalf of a friend of mine who will be visiting Switzerland in August (with Scouts). He's having problems with Birdforum account and isn't able to gain access. We'll have to chase it up with admin. In the meantime I'll post the request for information below. I' know he'll be grateful for any help given. Cain's a keen and knowledgeable birder and nature enthusiast Thanks in anticipation.

'I'm off to Switzerland in August for Explorer Belt, we'll be walking for ten days, passing through, Thun, Beatenberg, Interlaken, Grindelwald, Wilderswil, Krattigen, Frutigen, and Kandersteg. We have to come up with personal challenges and I was interested in doing mine on birds, seeing some of Switzerland's specialty species, such as Wallcreepers, Woodpeckers, Alpine Accentors, Swifts etc anything different really.(Although mammals wouldn't put me off either).'

Thanks
Brian

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 23rd June 2011, 19:25   #2
wintibird
André Weiss

I can highly recommend the Niederhorn which is easily reachable from Beatenberg by cable car. Just around the top station ibex is easy to see and a hike to Burgfeldstand and Gemmenalphorn should produce Citril Finch, Ring Ouzel and Alpine Accentor. Ptarmigan is regularly seen there as well, so are Golden Eagle and even sometimes Griffon Vultures.
Wallcreeper is often seen in the Balmholz quarry, just below Beatenberg (access from the lake road).
Alpine Swift is easy in Bern but also possible around Thun or Kandersteg. However, there are no reliable sites there. If you check in Bern go to the railway station, take a lift up to the University (on the top of the railway station) and look up. They will be there.
If you need more details about the mentionend locations pm me.

Hope this helps,

Greetings from Switzerland
André

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2011 2012 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 24th June 2011, 11:03   #3
brianfm
Botanical Birder

Thank you very much André. I'm sure Cain will find this information useful. If he requires any further help regarding location I'll send pm.

Best wishes
Brian

Old Sunday 4th September 2011, 11:54   #4
brianfm
Botanical Birder

Thanks once again for the info. Cain by all accounts had a great two weeks in Switzerland. No Wallcreeper seen, but sightings did include the likes of Nutcracker, Middle Spotted Woodpecker and Crag Martin.
A case of wish I'd been there.

Old Sunday 4th September 2011, 16:34   #5
wintibird
André Weiss

If he had the Middle Spotted Woodpecker on his itinerary from Thun to Kandersteg I would be very interested in the exact spot. They are vagrants in the alps and usually only found in the lowlands.

André

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2011 2012 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: