Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Northumbrian Birding

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 181 votes, 4.87 average.
Old Thursday 13th October 2011, 18:37   #7426
woodhornbirder
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: northumberland
Posts: 1,839
I was considering going to goswick sands for the surf scoter, but am not sure how to get there by bus. Its kinda inbetween anywhere. Any ideas?
woodhornbirder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 13th October 2011, 18:49   #7427
The Liverbirder
Registered User
 
The Liverbirder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CRAMLINGTON
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by _pauls View Post
Just in case anyone is interested, the White-tailed eagle that was taken in in Bedlington at the start of September has made a full recovery and has just been re-released back in Scotland.

My brother was out with an RSPB group in Perthshire yesterday and that individual was one of a roost of four that they located.
I was only talking about this bird a few days ago and wondered what the end result was. I am pleased it's a happy ending and am grateful for the update. Thank you.
__________________
Gordon
BOU Life - 319 - Common Rosefinch - Seaburn
Try: http://liverbirder.blogspot.com/
The Liverbirder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 14th October 2011, 15:51   #7428
Boy Wonder
Warden - RSPB Lincolnshire Wash Reserves

 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: RSPB Frampton Marsh
Posts: 532
For anyone planning to visit Saltholme over the next year please have a look at this http://www.teesmouthbc.com/forumtbc/...p?topic=3581.0 and help us win the Golden Welly. If you have any questions please ask away.
Boy Wonder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 14th October 2011, 17:52   #7429
The Liverbirder
Registered User
 
The Liverbirder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CRAMLINGTON
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
For anyone planning to visit Saltholme over the next year please have a look at this http://www.teesmouthbc.com/forumtbc/...p?topic=3581.0 and help us win the Golden Welly. If you have any questions please ask away.
Happy to help, Boy Wonder, but what a shame we 'northerners' haven't got a Premier League site to compete with yours.
__________________
Gordon
BOU Life - 319 - Common Rosefinch - Seaburn
Try: http://liverbirder.blogspot.com/
The Liverbirder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 14th October 2011, 18:32   #7430
woodhornbirder
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: northumberland
Posts: 1,839
3 seo on golf course at newbiggin today. Didnt have time to chk beacon pt for any yanky plovers.

also 7 goldeneye at qe2

Last edited by woodhornbirder : Saturday 15th October 2011 at 00:32.
woodhornbirder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 14th October 2011, 19:31   #7431
LSB
Budget Birder
 
LSB's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 1,737
Had another quick look at the Lesser Scaup this afternoon and thought I was seeing double
Poor quality pic I know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lscaup.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	351913  
LSB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 14th October 2011, 19:50   #7432
Vipers
Brunswick Birder
 
Vipers's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Brunswick Green.
Posts: 1,246
St Mary's this morning, at least 2 Yellow-browed Warblers, Redstart, Blackcap, 2 Great spotted Woodpeckers, a few Chiffchaffs and Goldcrests.

Prestwick Carr this afternoon, male and ring tail Hen Harrier, a single Short-eared Owl and 2 Whinchats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Short-Eared Owl, Prestwick Carr 9.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	351915  Click image for larger version

Name:	Short-Eared Owl, Prestwick Carr 10.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	351916  Click image for larger version

Name:	Short-Eared Owl, Prestwick Carr 6.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	351996  Click image for larger version

Name:	Short-Eared Owl, Prestwick Carr 7.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	351997  
__________________
Gary

Latest British List: Greater Sand Plover (339)

Last edited by Vipers : Saturday 15th October 2011 at 09:30.
Vipers is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 14th October 2011, 20:53   #7433
degsy_safc
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunderland - UK
Posts: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers View Post
Prestwick Carr this afternoon a single Short-eared Owl.
Great shots Gary - nice job
__________________
Cheers Derek
http://www.digiphotog.com/derekbilton
degsy_safc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 14th October 2011, 22:39   #7434
seggs
Alrite!
 
seggs's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Shields
Posts: 3,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
Had another quick look at the Lesser Scaup this afternoon and thought I was seeing double
Poor quality pic I know
Can you and other local lads keep it happy here till Sunday? A few "just across the border" folks will hopefully view this bird then.
seggs is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 15th October 2011, 21:38   #7435
_pauls
Registered User
 
_pauls's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 590
Here to be shot down but i'm 75% sure I had a common crane gliding in to land in a field east of the A1 just north of Alnwick today as I headed for lindisfarne - between turns for Denwick and North Charlton.

First thought - grey heron, 2nd thought... looks odd for heron, 3rd thought - a bit big for heron, 4th thought - neck and upper wing pattern not quite right (a bit too brown, dark neck/face with too much black on wings).

I've seen crane before in Northumberland but not in flight, and herons by the thousand and it struck me as oddLike I say - not certain by any means but if anyone is in the area tomorrow it might be worth checking out.
_pauls is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 15th October 2011, 22:54   #7436
Chop5
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Annitsford
Posts: 30
Got some very good views of a short eared owl over the dunes at Seaton Sluice today, a flock of 9 or so swans (mute i reckon) just off shore and a few other bits and bobs that would have been canny to look at if i'd had binoculars and not had the wife and 3 kids with me!
Chop5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 16th October 2011, 08:26   #7437
Vipers
Brunswick Birder
 
Vipers's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Brunswick Green.
Posts: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by _pauls View Post
Here to be shot down but i'm 75% sure I had a common crane gliding in to land in a field east of the A1 just north of Alnwick today as I headed for lindisfarne - between turns for Denwick and North Charlton.

First thought - grey heron, 2nd thought... looks odd for heron, 3rd thought - a bit big for heron, 4th thought - neck and upper wing pattern not quite right (a bit too brown, dark neck/face with too much black on wings).

I've seen crane before in Northumberland but not in flight, and herons by the thousand and it struck me as oddLike I say - not certain by any means but if anyone is in the area tomorrow it might be worth checking out.
Hi Paul

Was it flying with it's neck out stretched or tucked in?
__________________
Gary

Latest British List: Greater Sand Plover (339)
Vipers is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 16th October 2011, 11:10   #7438
_pauls
Registered User
 
_pauls's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers View Post
Hi Paul

Was it flying with it's neck out stretched or tucked in?
I didn't get the best angle to be honest as it was flying more or less South as I was going North and it was dropping below the level of the bushes by the time we were level and it was adjusting its posture for landing... I know that would have been a clincher if it had outstretched neck in level flight.

The posture didn't quite "feel" right for the heron which was made me look twice in the first instance.
_pauls is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 16th October 2011, 13:36   #7439
Barred Wobbler
Registered User
 
Barred Wobbler's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North of the wall, south of the border
Posts: 4,756
Sunday Dinner

East Chevington track today.

Pity I didn't have time to reset the focus mode. I'd just been trying to photograph a Y B Warbler (unsuccessfully - it went missing) in foliage and didn't have time to reset for a flight shot when I saw this crossing the track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5613-copy.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	352160  

Last edited by Barred Wobbler : Sunday 16th October 2011 at 13:53.
Barred Wobbler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 16th October 2011, 15:37   #7440
The Liverbirder
Registered User
 
The Liverbirder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CRAMLINGTON
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barred Wobbler View Post
East Chevington track today.

Pity I didn't have time to reset the focus mode. I'd just been trying to photograph a Y B Warbler (unsuccessfully - it went missing) in foliage and didn't have time to reset for a flight shot when I saw this crossing the track.
Merlin with a Done-lin?
__________________
Gordon
BOU Life - 319 - Common Rosefinch - Seaburn
Try: http://liverbirder.blogspot.com/
The Liverbirder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 16th October 2011, 20:57   #7441
Vipers
Brunswick Birder
 
Vipers's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Brunswick Green.
Posts: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by _pauls View Post
I didn't get the best angle to be honest as it was flying more or less South as I was going North and it was dropping below the level of the bushes by the time we were level and it was adjusting its posture for landing... I know that would have been a clincher if it had outstretched neck in level flight.

The posture didn't quite "feel" right for the heron which was made me look twice in the first instance.
There has been a Common Crane seen on and off in the Budle Bay area for a while now. So it is possible.
__________________
Gary

Latest British List: Greater Sand Plover (339)
Vipers is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th October 2011, 18:49   #7442
The Liverbirder
Registered User
 
The Liverbirder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CRAMLINGTON
Posts: 939
Jack & Duke

Where's Duke's Pond at Rising Sun CP, please?

Is it the one to the right of the path once you enter the wooded area from between the horsefields, as you walk from the visitors' centre?
__________________
Gordon
BOU Life - 319 - Common Rosefinch - Seaburn
Try: http://liverbirder.blogspot.com/
The Liverbirder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 17th October 2011, 19:08   #7443
brianfm
Botanical Birder
 
brianfm's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Posts: 4,041
Blog Entries: 129
Is it the one to the right of the path once you enter the wooded area from between the horsefields, as you walk from the visitors' centre?[/quote]

No.

Walk past the visitor centre along the hedged pathway which has Swallow Pond to the right of it. On the left of that pathway there is an opening in the hedge on the left and this is where Dukes Pond is. I'm pretty sure of that, but in any case staff at the centre would point you in the right direction.

Cheers
__________________
Brian
Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best.-- Henry Van Dyke http://killybirder.blogspot.com/
brianfm is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th October 2011, 19:13   #7444
The Liverbirder
Registered User
 
The Liverbirder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CRAMLINGTON
Posts: 939
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfm View Post
Is it the one to the right of the path once you enter the wooded area from between the horsefields, as you walk from the visitors' centre?
No. To the point. Thanks.

Walk past the visitor centre along the hedged pathway which has Swallow Pond to the right of it. On the left of that pathway there is an opening in the hedge on the left and this is where Dukes Pond is. I'm pretty sure of that, but in any case staff at the centre would point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Great. Thanks again [/quote]

Now to find the Jack Snipe!
__________________
Gordon
BOU Life - 319 - Common Rosefinch - Seaburn
Try: http://liverbirder.blogspot.com/
The Liverbirder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 17th October 2011, 19:16   #7445
brianfm
Botanical Birder
 
brianfm's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Posts: 4,041
Blog Entries: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Liverbirder View Post
No. To the point. Thanks.

Walk past the visitor centre along the hedged pathway which has Swallow Pond to the right of it. On the left of that pathway there is an opening in the hedge on the left and this is where Dukes Pond is. I'm pretty sure of that, but in any case staff at the centre would point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Great. Thanks again
Now to find the Jack Snipe![/quote]

I may well see you there, and this time may even recognise you.
__________________
Brian
Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best.-- Henry Van Dyke http://killybirder.blogspot.com/
brianfm is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th October 2011, 21:04   #7446
Vipers
Brunswick Birder
 
Vipers's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Brunswick Green.
Posts: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Liverbirder View Post
Now to find the Jack Snipe!
Why not go to Cresswell? There was one in front of the hide this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack Snipe, Cresswell 6.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	352400  
__________________
Gary

Latest British List: Greater Sand Plover (339)
Vipers is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 18th October 2011, 06:52   #7447
The Liverbirder
Registered User
 
The Liverbirder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CRAMLINGTON
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers View Post
Why not go to Cresswell? There was one in front of the hide this morning.
Keeping my options open for the Great Jack Snipe Hunt Fri/Sat/Sun. Great photo, never seen one on the ground before. There were two there pm Sunday but I was trying to photograph Little Egrets at Blyth (and not too well, I might add - see blog and any hints/tips gratefully accepted btw ).
__________________
Gordon
BOU Life - 319 - Common Rosefinch - Seaburn
Try: http://liverbirder.blogspot.com/
The Liverbirder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 18th October 2011, 07:49   #7448
Vipers
Brunswick Birder
 
Vipers's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Brunswick Green.
Posts: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Liverbirder View Post
Keeping my options open for the Great Jack Snipe Hunt Fri/Sat/Sun. Great photo, never seen one on the ground before. There were two there pm Sunday but I was trying to photograph Little Egrets at Blyth (and not too well, I might add - see blog and any hints/tips gratefully accepted btw ).
Photograph them on a dull day.
__________________
Gary

Latest British List: Greater Sand Plover (339)
Vipers is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 18th October 2011, 08:40   #7449
The Liverbirder
Registered User
 
The Liverbirder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CRAMLINGTON
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers View Post
Photograph them on a dull day.
When I get out, every day is a dull day!
__________________
Gordon
BOU Life - 319 - Common Rosefinch - Seaburn
Try: http://liverbirder.blogspot.com/
The Liverbirder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 18th October 2011, 09:18   #7450
FoghornKinghorn
Durham Recorder
 
FoghornKinghorn's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Durham
Posts: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Liverbirder View Post
When I get out, every day is a dull day!

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EQ6eHeBrhM

__________________
Andrew Kinghorn
FoghornKinghorn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much birding do you do? birdman Birds & Birding 79 Tuesday 29th August 2006 13:13
Independant Birding in Chile Montagu Vacational Trip Reports 1 Wednesday 8th June 2005 01:00
A family trip that became a once in a lifetime birding experience? streatham Vacational Trip Reports 6 Sunday 29th May 2005 13:07
ALASKAN BIRDING FROM A CRUISE SHIP: part 1 - Introduction HelenB Vacational Trip Reports 17 Sunday 21st September 2003 13:04
Returning to birding hornet Say Hello 8 Monday 1st September 2003 17:08



Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.24481893 seconds with 40 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:18.