• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

San Isidro & Guango or just Mindo & Tandayapa (1 Viewer)

Olinguito there was one easy to see in the trees in Mindo at El Descanso hummingbirds garden. Last week "had" a problem probably with another animal and right now getting better in a rescue center in Quito. It was over the news here.

Spectacled bear also you can see in Yellow House Trails, but not easy. Best location is Maquipucuna some weeks every year when you can see many of the at the same time.

Re mammals: I did see both olinguito and kinkajou at Bellavista. Spectacled Bear should also be possible in some places.

Niels

Hello,

Choco Andino area and East Slope both are places to visit.

Today it was really easy to see plate-billed toucan at Vinicio´s Perez feeder in Santa Rosa. He has also an amazing hidden.

If you plan to visit San Isidro 4 days, I recommend to do 1 day first in Guango Lodge and then 3 days in San Isidro.

Choco Toucan easy to see in Mindo. We saw yesterday just from the terraces of our hotel.

Toucan barbet you can see it in San Tadeo Feeder, Paz de las Aves, ... there are different locations.

Mindo is the best location to stay and from here visit several reserves. If you want to see many places, just half day in each location is enough so in one day you can visit two locations.

What about Long-wattled Umbrellabird? it´s another beautiful one you can see in this area in 23 of June reserve
That's great thanks David. We will be 2 nights at Bellavista and 2 nights at Sachatamia I think and spend one early morning at Pas de las Aves. Hopefully we will have a guide who can take us to see some of the special species that we won't pick up at those 3 hotels gardens esp the trogons, quetzals and toucans and maybe that umbrellabird too.

Welcome Tony,

Paz de las Aves early morning tour ticket price is $40 and transportation for all the morning around $80.

In this area it´s easy to see trogons, quetzals and toucans. Our hotel "Las Terrazas de Dana Boutique Lodge" is located at the start of "Ruta San Lorenzo", which is the best area in Mindo for birdwatching. In these days very easy to see toucans and quetzals since there are many trees with fruits not far. Of course always with a good guide since they know where are the good spots!

Umbrellabird easy to see in 23 de Junio and best location to see it. Tomorrow morning we are going there with 6 guests on one of our photographic private tours. Also other guests saw it very easy 3 days ago.

There are many reserves to visit in this area to stay easily a week.

You will enjoy this area for sure.

Best regards

David

That's great thanks David. We will be 2 nights at Bellavista and 2 nights at Sachatamia I think and spend one early morning at Pas de las Aves. Hopefully we will have a guide who can take us to see some of the special species that we won't pick up at those 3 hotels gardens esp the trogons, quetzals and toucans and maybe that umbrellabird too.

Paz de las Aves early morning tour ticket price is $40 and transportation for all the morning around $80.

During our recent trip to Sachatamia our guide for one day mentioned a reserve operated by another member of the Paz family offering similar birding potential at a somewhat lower cost. However, I did not follow up and can provide no details.

Hello,

I spoke with some of our guides and no news about other member of Paz family with another lek. Any way to find information about that?

Other option is at Las Cotingas $10 butnot funny to hike at 5:30am 20 minutes :)

During our recent trip to Sachatamia our guide for one day mentioned a reserve operated by another member of the Paz family offering similar birding potential at a somewhat lower cost. However, I did not follow up and can provide no details.

During our recent trip to Sachatamia our guide for one day mentioned a reserve operated by another member of the Paz family offering similar birding potential at a somewhat lower cost.

My guide and I weren't communicating well on this point. Turns out she was referencing an option at Paz de las Aves for an afternoon observation of Andean Cock-of-the-rock for $10 per person. Sorry for the confusion.

Hello,

Yes, that option can be done in the morning or in the afternoon. Today we visited in the morning for a half day morning and light was not good for photos. We returned in the afternoon and it was simply AMAZING!!! Anyway recommended the half day morning tour since Antpittas are great birds and now very easy to see the Toucan Barbet (also we saw the andean toucan in the higher area).

My guide and I weren't communicating well on this point. Turns out she was referencing an option at Paz de las Aves for an afternoon observation of Andean Cock-of-the-rock for $10 per person. Sorry for the confusion.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back