Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Giottos Vitruvian VGRN 8255......Advice.

Old Wednesday 25th July 2012, 12:24   #1
brianfm
Botanical Birder

Giottos Vitruvian VGRN 8255......Advice.

I'm getting back in to photography and have been looking at purchasing a tripod. I require something light, but stable. The Giottos Vitruvian seems to fit the bill. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this tripod and could comment.

I have a Manfrotto tripod for my telescope and this has served me well for a number of years apart from occasional loss of the rubber foot. I do want something smaller and lighter for photography. I won't be attempting to use heavy telescopic lenses as that is just not my thing. Any bird photography is very much secondary to watching the birds and other wildlife and is usually done hand held. The heaviest lens I own the Canon 100 Macro IS. The Vitruvian would in the main be used for landscape work.

I did wonder too, if the Vitruvian would be an effective tripod to use with macro work. I'm just getting into this and so far have only taken hand held shots. I do feel I'll want to get more seriously involved with macro photography in the longer term.

I don't drive, but do get about quite a lot so weight is a very important issue.

Thanks.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th July 2012, 14:57   #2
Jaff
Registered Member

Why not also look at some of the Manfrotto CF tripods with the centre column that can be mounted horizontally, they're specifically designed for macro work.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th July 2012, 18:20   #3
brianfm
Botanical Birder

Thanks for that. I'll take a closer look at them.

Just realised I've posted under wrong heading. This should be under photographic tripods. Please feel free to shift it.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 26th July 2012, 00:16   #4
Jaff
Registered Member

Yeah I noticed that but assumed you'd put it here because you were looking for one tripod that could take your scope as well as the photographic side but now I read it again I don't think that is what you had in mind. Either way now moved.
WEX seems to be doing these tripods for a good price right now http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-m...ripod/p1027600
Out of curiosity do you have a head too because those Manfrotto tripods I mentioned work best with a ballhead for macro work when using the centre column in its horizontal position.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: