Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Wings over the Western Front:*the*First World War Diaries*of Collingwood Ingram

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 8th July 2014, 14:25   #1
John Cantelo

Wings over the Western Front:*the*First World War Diaries*of Collingwood Ingram

Wings over the Western Front:*the*First World War Diaries*of Collingwood Ingram. Edited by Ernest Pollard & Hazel Strouts. Day Books ISBN 978-0-9532213-9-4

Collingwood Ingram is perhaps a rather forgotten figure these days, but in his day he was considered one Britain's most talented amateur ornithologists . He was regarded as an authority on both the birds of France and Spain (advising Mountfort et al on their famous Coto Donana expedition). A self taught artist, his sketches and drawings are very attractive and highly professional. He was also a world authority on flowering cherries, rhododendrons and other plants and an an authority on Japanese art (esp. netsuke). That's packing in a lot even for a centenarian!

He also served in the Royal Flying Corp during WWI and his war diaries, packed with handsome sketches, have just been published (30/06/14) by Day Books (http://www.day-books.com). Note some online sellers have it marked as unavailable, but it is available from the publishers. There's more about Ingram on the author's website (http://erniepollard.jimdo.com/wings-...western-front/) which also has a sample page for download.

I must declare an interest (and bias) here as I helped the author in a small way with ornithological enquiries, but I think it an interesting and utterly charming book. As indicated above his drawings are decorative and interesting whilst the text gives an insight into the birdlife of Pas de Calais (where he was stationed) at the time and, naturally, the RFC & WWI. I know some here are aircraft/WWI buffs and will thoroughly enjoy this book,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ingram.png
Views:	98
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	504590  

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Monday 11th August 2014, 12:19   #2
brianfm
Botanical Birder

Must admit I'd never heard of Collingwood Ingram until I saw this book advertised on the internet. I've just had a copy delivered today from Amazon which is to be a gift for a friend of mine who is a keen naturalist and aviation geek. Having glanced through the pages I think I'm going to have to either buy myself a copy or ask to borrow this one. Some very nice small copies of sketches. A book that deserves to sell well.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 11th August 2014, 14:12   #3
John Cantelo

Thanks for 'bumping' this topic - as you say it deserves a wide readership,

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Thursday 14th August 2014, 08:11   #4
rollingthunder

Looks a fascinating read, John, i have come across the name when researching trees, 'Cherry Ingram', but did not make the connection with the Ornithologist - always learning

Laurie
Old Thursday 14th August 2014, 08:22   #5
John Cantelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post
Looks a fascinating read, John, i have come across the name when researching trees, 'Cherry Ingram', but did not make the connection with the Ornithologist - always learning

Laurie
He was a bit of a polymath not only being a gifted amateur artist, expert on cherries (and other plants) and one of the best 'field birders' of his day (widely regarded as the expert on France & Iberia), but also an expert on Japanese netsuke (his collection is on display in the BM). It is indeed a 'good read'!

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: