• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just not close enough (2 Viewers)

Limpopo

Hi all.
Just trying to find out which of the Terns I have seen in Peel Bay.
They are just out of distance to make out the beak colour and leg colour.
Also I did see what I thought was a Kittiwake in the river mouth close to the Groyne when the tide was nearly out, could it be ?
May thanks.

Hi all.
Just trying to find out which of the Terns I have seen in Peel Bay.
They are just out of distance to make out the beak colour and leg colour.
Also I did see what I thought was a Kittiwake in the river mouth close to the Groyne when the tide was nearly out, could it be ?
May thanks.

Hallo there,

The terns in Peel Bay are almost always sandwich terns, other species being rare visitors (to Peel). I have seen sandwich terns out in the bay on several occasions in the last fortnight, including 11 on one occasion. Even when they are far out you can often hear their distinctive calls.

Yes, kittiwakes often come into Peel Bay, and I saw one standing on the groyne last winter. They breed out the back of Peel Hill, although in very much reduced numbers these days.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Allen

Allen, many thanks for the swift reply.
I was also lucky enough to see a Tree Creeper and a Tree Pipit this week.
Fantastic bird views and will all be going on my 'life list'.
Regards
Mark.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back