• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greenish or Arctic Warbler? UK (1 Viewer)

Hi all
This Phyllosc was at Gibraltar Point NNR, Lincs, UK on 11th October 2018. Its appearance and behaviour lead me to believe it was a Greenish Warbler and when I heard the usual Greenish “Chu-wee” I was more than happy with it. These photos were posted on various Social media sites and the thinking now, is that it may be an Arctic Warbler (despite the call).
Any thoughts on ID would be appreciated please.

Regards

Nige

Attachments

• BW Warb 2.jpg
    BW Warb 2.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 205
  • Warb 1.jpg
    Warb 1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Warb 2.jpg
    Warb 2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Warb 3.jpg
    Warb 3.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Warb 4.jpg
    Warb 4.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 144
It's an Arctic.

Supercilium falls short of the bill, long, spikey bill, mottled ear coverts, grey wash to flanks, olive wash to the rear flanks, short P1, spindly legs..

Last edited:
Was the call recorded?

Given that Arctic has now been split into three species, any Arctic-type warbler in the UK should be sound-recorded if possible (especially if it has some kind of “aberrant” call).

If Pale-legged Leaf Warbler and Eastern Crowned Warbler can make it, there has to be a chance of Kamchatka making it, and call is crucial for field ID.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back