• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Namibian Dragonflies - Oct 2019 (1 Viewer)

Muppit17

I would be delighted for any assistance in identifying the attached dragonfly. I had assumed it must be a Basker but can't find a match.

Found far from water in acaccia in Erongo mountains.

Many thanks

Attachments

• DSCN1673.jpg
    DSCN1673.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 38
I would be delighted for any assistance in identifying the attached dragonfly. I had assumed it must be a Basker but can't find a match.

Found far from water in acaccia in Erongo mountains.

Many thanks

using Warwick & Tarbon 2019 (which only covers S Africa) looks like Tramea basilaris, but should check for similar species in Namibia.

using Warwick & Tarbon 2019 (which only covers S Africa) looks like Tramea basilaris, but should check for similar species in Namibia.

An interesting thought. I am surprised at the blueness of the individual compared with all the photos I have seen. I had it down as a 'red species'.

According to Suhling & Martens they are further north and in wet areas, with flight period from November onwards. I have no personal experience of the species.

I can only find two urothemis listed for Namibia, the other is assignata which is red.

https://www.dragonflies.co.za/index.php/dragonflies/baskers/blue-basker-urothemis-edwardsii

Don't think I'll bother trying to help anymore, the tone of some on here is really quite aggravating,

But why must it be Urothemis? Tramea basilaris that I suggested up thread is a very close fit and occurs across northern Namibia. It is not aggressive to disagree, and when an identification is so clearly incorrect it is important to be emphatic to ensure the OP is not mislead.

I can't really use the key I have from the view in the original pics but... I think there are only two (Libellulid) genera where there is such a large size difference in the pterostigmas in fore and hind-wings - Tramea and Pantala. Only Tramea has the dark hindwing bases and the double dark brown patch makes it basilaris (aka Keyhole Glider).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back