• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skywatcher 709EQ1 and Nikon D700 :) (1 Viewer)

Zolthar

Hi there,

I have "small" question about my setup for digiscoping using refractor telescope.
My setup is Nikon D700 and Skywatcher 709 on EQ1 mount. I know it's not so good telescope but i bought it to my baby and it was staying unused long time so I decided to use it :)

So i bought T2 and M42 adapters and here is a problem.
When I use barlow lens x2, I see objects far far away without vigneting, but when I don't use barlow lenses I see vignette.

What can I do to avoid vignette and not be forced to use barlow lens as it needs very good weather to take photos?

I know I need better telescope and will buy it but for some time I need use this one so please dont tell me I need better one because i know that :)

Does the focuser allow 2" connections?
Do you have any extension tubes between the camera and the focuser? If not, you'll need that. 50mm to 80mm and 2". I can't guarantee non-vignett, since I have not used a D700.

I think you are stuck with a 1.25" focuser on that scope and I couldn't find any 2" focusers that would fit it. With a full frame sensor in the camera I think you will have to live with the vignetting until you can get a scope with at least a 2" focuser.

Paul.

Ouuuu yeayyy I found it, thanks Paul you directed me on right way.
Full frame sensor is the problem, I changed it to DX mode and all works great wowwww :) Good that D700 allows to change image size from full framed to cropped.
o:D:t:

Here you have example.
Weather is very poor, snowy cloudy no sun :(
I had to use ISo 2500 and time 1/1000 without tripod only backpack as tripod.
Distance to birds about 80-100meters

_NAT6037.jpg
_NAT6040.jpg

Regards

I'm impressed, would love to see more from this scope. Have the photos been edited at all, I was expecting to see some chromatic aberrations with it just being a simple doublet lens?

Cheers,
Paul.

Yup there was chromatic aberration but I use Lightroom and shooting in RAW so was able easy remove the aberration, also only littlebit increased contrasts and thats all

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back