• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photoshop (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi,

I have been a user of Photoshop Elements, which came in the package when I bought my camera. Problem is that I have recently upgraded my PC and the version of software doesn't work with Windows 8.1.

I've looked at the Adobe website, and looks like you can only get Elements as a free trial for a month.

Anyone any recommendation on how I can get a version of Elements that will work with my new PC, or alternatively, some decent photo-editing freeware that I can use.

Thanks.... Ray

Photoshop (even the Elements version) is a sophtisticated piece of software and I can't quite see why you think it should be available for free. Presumably your camera manufacturer paid a fee to be able to distribute it, and they probably got a discount (and maybe Adobe thought this would work as an advertisement).

The most powerful piece of photo-processing software available for free is probably Gimp/. This is effectively a volunteer effort, and it's not as smooth as Adobe products. It is available for Windows 8.1,

Andrea

I had kinda thought that the cut-down 'elements' version, was a bit of a free taster, which was intended to make you purchase the fully-functional version...

I'll have a look at gimp (that sounds bad!!)

Thanks... Ray

I had kinda thought that the cut-down 'elements' version, was a bit of a free taster, which was intended to make you purchase the fully-functional version...

Full Photoshop used to cost several hundred pounds (now Adobe would like you to buy a subscription) and what you got with Elements was a version that could do all but the sophisticated stuff for maybe 20-25% of the price. I'm afraid at these price levels you don't get freebies!

Hope you find Gimp can do what you want,

Andrea

I'll have a look at gimp (that sounds bad!!)

Thanks... Ray

Elements is a fully functioning version in itself that has all, and far more, than any standard user is likely to need. The trial period is simply so you can see it before buying it for the long-term ...as the trial period ends, you are invited to purchase elements if you so wish. There is no link or attempt to try and get trial users to buy the (non-Elements) full photoshop version.

Best thing is to give it a trial and if you don't like, don't purchase at the end of the trial (you do not give credit card details or anything, so there is no automatic purchase if you forget to cancel, etc).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back