• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting NM (1 Viewer)

Becki Peterson

Hello fellow birders, I am Becki from Wareham MA. and I am visiting my sister who lives in New Mexico and I was hoping to see some different birds than I am used to seeing and I am hearing some beautiful songbirds that I am not used to but forgot to bring my binoculars (so upset) I usually see the regular chickadees,tufted tit mouse,cardinals,gold finches,dark eyed junkos, nuthatches,etc.......and so far here I have seen roadrunners,Quail,ravens,vultures and cassins king bird.Was hoping to see a painted bunting in Carlsbad NM at the Carlsbad Caverns because I heard if your lucky you can see them there starting around May 26th but that is the day I am returning to Massachusetts.I will have to return with my binoculars next time.Bye for now!

Hi Becky and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. Sounds like you are seeing some nice birds during your visit. I hope you get your Painted Bunting, they will come to feeders. If your sister has some you might be lucky and get to see one in the next few days.

Hi Becki and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi Becki and a warm welcome to you from me in Myrtle Beach. I hope you have a great time when you visit your sister.

Does everyone out there know the brown headed cowbird is on the "dead beat mom" list . It lays one egg in the spring and puts it in another birds nest to raise and flies away.LOL

Does everyone out there know the brown headed cowbird is on the "dead beat mom" list . It lays one egg in the spring and puts it in another birds nest to raise and flies away.LOL

Yep, that is in their DNA. When they were following the buffalo they didn’t stay to raise their young, so found another bird species to do it for them. It is known as “brood parasite”. A number of different birds do it: cowbirds, European cuckoos, and honeyguides come to mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back