• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift TRILYTE 8x42 (1 Viewer)

lkn2myis

Hi -

Was just at a birding store hoping to check out the Audubon Raptors.

They didn't have them, but they did have some other Audubon's and Swifts.

After trying a bunch, I ended up purchasing the Seift Trilyte 8x42. MUCH better than all the others there. Plus, the store was having a 50% off moving sale. That resulted in me paying about $180 for these (I think you can find them for about $20 cheaper on the web, but I had these in my hands!).

Felt good, viewed beautifully, were bright, and waterproof. The image just seemed to jump out.

Seemed a large jump up from my Nikon Prostaff ATB 9x25.

I searched the boards and couldn't find much out about these.

Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, or information? Was it a nice step up for me? Any info appreciated.

Last edited:
They have pretty standard 8x42 specs, the usual birding tool. I have looked through several Swifts and the optics, most agree, are fine or excellent. Some of the porro models we have some ruggedness concerns with. Hang on to your warranty. Goes for any bins, the only sensible way to get repairs.

Tero said:
They have pretty standard 8x42 specs, the usual birding tool. I have looked through several Swifts and the optics, most agree, are fine or excellent. Some of the porro models we have some ruggedness concerns with. Hang on to your warranty. Goes for any bins, the only sensible way to get repairs.

Really wasn't even looking to buy. Tried a bunch (Audubons), but when I picked these up - WOW. Image was wonderfully clear (at least as opposed to my Nikon Prostaff ATB 9x25).

They felt comfortable and sturdy. Just can't seem to find a lot of info on this board about them after several searches.

And the ProStaff even is near the top for under 200 dollar compacts. There might be a slightly better one but not waterproof.

A number of these binoculars are designed to sell themselves. Its like falling in love for an equipment junkie, as they say in the outdoor trade.

Tero said:
And the ProStaff even is near the top for under 200 dollar compacts. There might be a slightly better one but not waterproof.

A number of these binoculars are designed to sell themselves. Its like falling in love for an equipment junkie, as they say in the outdoor trade.

It's a problem I have with musical instruments as well.

Each bino was good, but different. The Swift just felt like a major leap forward.

You did good. We have all been there. You now need to set a budget for your 5 year plan. I resisted buying a top model scope, it was a temptation. But if you do get a scope, any scope, get a good tripod. The scope you can eBay, the tripods are just junk to clutter your house. Well, you can sell it with the starter scope, but it does not add much to its value.

I can see well enough with my scope up to 45x, not much good for digiscoping...

Oops, now you will spend on digiscoping. Wellcome to the club..of big spenders.

Tero said:
You did good. We have all been there. You now need to set a budget for your 5 year plan. I resisted buying a top model scope, it was a temptation. But if you do get a scope, any scope, get a good tripod. The scope you can eBay, the tripods are just junk to clutter your house. Well, you can sell it with the starter scope, but it does not add much to its value.

I can see well enough with my scope up to 45x, not much good for digiscoping...

Oops, now you will spend on digiscoping. Wellcome to the club..of big spenders.

Obviously you are witnessing a new addiction in the making.

Two questions come to mind:

1) What would the next logical step up be in the binocular world (from the Swift)?

AND

2) The mention about keeping a pair in the car. I've always been told never to leave binos in the car because the heat will cause damage. Any truth to this?

(BTW - I see you are in St. Louis. Was recently south of you in
a tiny place called Park Hills)

I think you are set. Go find some birds, then hang out with local birders. Look up your Audubon group. Get to see their scopes. You have a new world to expolore in scopes...

I have yet to destroy even the cheapest binoculars in the car. But Texas heat might do it.

The Swifts that you have are roof prisms. Many people fall in love with the view after looking through them, having used only porros before. The compact porros and some starter 8x40s may have their problems, but the 9x you have are actually pretty good. The bird in the middle will be a very sharp image. The Swifts offer a much bigger "sweet spot" when you use them, the clear and sharp area in the middle.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back