• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's Birding Year 2016 (1 Viewer)

Must have seen a few dozen Red Legged Partridges 50 or so miles North of Flamborough today but still can't bag a Grey Partridge:-C

Rich

Had a cracking week up in Flamborough. Will definitely be back as there's enough there to keep the children occupied as well. We were also incredibly lucky with the weather.

Stayed here:

http://www.cottages.com/cottages/no...ingale-25115?adult=2&child=2&nights=7&range=3

Very comfortable and well equipped. No Broadband but a good mobile signal. Easily walkable to Thornwick Pools and North Landing. Bempton Cliffs is a five minute drive away.

The Sunday Carvery at The Ship Inn was great and the breakfasts at the lighthouse was also spot on. I've added some photos from the trip (Snow Bunting at Spurn, Brambling at Bempton and a Yellowhammer - common around the cottage):

Attachments

• IMG_3156.JPG
    IMG_3156.JPG
    576.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3172.JPG
    IMG_3172.JPG
    612.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3218.JPG
    IMG_3218.JPG
    489.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3384.JPG
    IMG_3384.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 51
Got to love a Tree Sparrow:t::

Attachments

• IMG_3189.JPG
    IMG_3189.JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3191.JPG
    IMG_3191.JPG
    311.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3203.JPG
    IMG_3203.JPG
    337.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3205.JPG
    IMG_3205.JPG
    314.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3242.JPG
    IMG_3242.JPG
    254.7 KB · Views: 36
And finally. Snow Bunting at Filey Brigg:

Attachments

• IMG_3452.JPG
    IMG_3452.JPG
    495.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3450.JPG
    IMG_3450.JPG
    487.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3426.JPG
    IMG_3426.JPG
    292.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3425.JPG
    IMG_3425.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 40
Nipped down to Salthouse Point this morning with Kev, the children, and the dog we're looking after at the moment. Heaps of waders, Kestrel, GBBG's etc. and after a little searching:

213. Cattle Egret Lifer #14 B :)B :)

Rich

Stopped off at Pwll slipway on my way to work this morning. Had good views of 3 Black Necked Grebes, Brent Geese, Red Breasted Mergansers and a Long Tailed Duck that's been around for a few days.

214. Long Tailed Duck.

OH has the sniffles/ woman flu atm so decided to duck out with the boys to give us all a quiet few hours. Started a game with the boys where we counted how many species we had seen. Ended up on 34 which I didn't think was too bad as we only drove up to the Beacons. Good numbers of Fieldfare and Redwing were at Cwm Cadlan and at Garwnant, there must have been 20+ Common Crossbills. Mostly, for those that know the area, by the big chair. Whilst the boys were playing in the woods I was able to keep an eye on them whilst watching the Crossbills. A flock of small stuff flew over which I was 95% certain I knew what they were but fortunate a single perched up by the Crossbills. Finally! My list blocker was in in the bag.

215. Lesser Redpoll

Bird of the day for the boys though was the Common Buzzard that was sat at the end of the front garden. :t::-O

Well that's it for me. 215 is the most species since I've been keeping a list. Dipped on quite a few decent birds though - Great Spotted Cuckoo, Hoopoe(x2), King Eider etc. etc.:-O

Bird of the year was the bird my 5 year old spotted. Coming back from a great curry in Brecon he spotted a Nightjar flying towards us. A first for the UK for me.

2017 holds a couple of short trips to Scotland and hopefully a week in Somerset. I wouldn't rule out another trip to Yorkshire either having been so impressed in October.

Happy New Year all and good luck for 2017:t:

Rich

.... and a Happy New Year to you and yours Rich.

Whereabouts are you going in Scotland next time then?

Hi D. Nethybridge on the 1st of March. Hoping to catch up with Mr Nevis again.

Then heading up in May for 3 nights with Sars for our anniversary. Looking at Achiltibuie at the moment. Got a soft spot for that area.

Rich

Last edited:
It's a lovely area, if a tad isolated. But I can well understand the draw.

I'm pds you'll enjoy both trips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back