• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A question for Swarovski owners. (1 Viewer)

yddie

What are the main differences from your Swarovski scope, to any previous make of scope you have owned, does it take time to appreciate any differences, that is to say under certain weather and light conditions, or do you see the difference all of the time.

The reason I ask I am considering buying a scope and whilst I will try before I buy, experience has taught me that first impressions are not always as informative as the impression one gets over time.

Thanking you in anticipation,

Eddie

My ATS65HD beats every other scope (including APO televid 77) I have owned hands down. The contrast, brightness, clarity, shapness and FOV are second only to the 80mm model, though as I'm an active birder the lower weight makes this a good compromise. Despite what others may say, and with many endless debates about which is best, I have this to say. A scope can be declared the best by a reviewer, but unless it suits you (with regard to feel, comfort, eye position ect) then it is purely subjective. Test whichever scopes are within your budget and go with what feels best for you.

Big scopes I've owned - Swaro ATS65HD w/20-60 and 30x ep's, Nikon ED82A w/25-75 and 30 + 38x ep's, Zeiss (old, silver) 85mm scope w/40xw and Baader-Hyperion zoom, and (currently) Swaro ATS80HD w/25-50 ep. I won't bore you with the comparison, it's all there if you search, but the short version is that the Swaro 80 w/25-50 is my favourite, and covers all bases, because for me it gives a sharp, bright, wide view, has a zoom that negates the need for any fixed ep, and handles beautifully without a stay-on case (which none of them actually need). All of the above are top-performing scopes, and your choice will depend on your ep requirements, focusser preference (helical or dual), need for zoom and FOV, and most importantly, handling. Price of course too is an issue. Nikon Fieldscope ep's are becoming rare as hen's teeth. The Zeiss gave a yellowish cast that wasn't to my liking. Try to check units to pick a "cherry".

My used Swarovski ATS 80HD has arrived today. Unfortunately I didn't have too long to give it a whirl before it got dark but compared to a Leica Apo Televid 77 which I've used a few times but not owned I have to say the Swaro is much lighter, a little brighter although as I say it was getting dusk when I used my 80HD so it could even be brighter during the right conditions. I would say it was also sharper but I would need longer with the Swaro to comment how sharper.

Compared to a ATS 65 non HD its close, another scope I've used quite a few times. Time will tell how close the more I use it.

Regards

A question for Swarovski owners

IMHO my Swaro 65HD with 25x50 eyepiece is much easier for me to use with eyeglasses than my Bushnell Elite 80 with zoom and lighter in the bargain.
The Elite was good, the Swarovski is superb although it has a very slight disadvantage at dusk and dawn..maybe five to ten minutes on each end.
My friends son-in-law really likes the Elite because he doesn't wear glasses.
My Swaro is compact, light and gives great views and really feels like a "luxury class" scope.
Art

The difference between the 3 top end manufacturers (Swaro, Leica, Zeiss) is really personal. You will hear the merits of each one. Swarovski has the best customer service in the business and that is a huge selling point for me. Not to mention their optics are one of the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back