• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Videoscoping with Swarovski ATX95 (1 Viewer)

LagoVivo

Dear all,
I am currently videoscoping with a canon Ixus 115HS on a Swarovski ATS80HD (30x eyepiece), see this compilation for example (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2sei987zNI). I have never used a camcorder, but would be a nice thing to try, but it is difficult to find the right device I guess. I am mainly interested in large carnivores, thus requiring important magnification and light.

I am thus quite interested in buying a Swarovski ATX95. I have seen only a few posts about videoscoping with this new scope. For those who are using it, are you happy about the results, compared to the ATS series, and other scopes? Which kind of system do you use - camera or camcorder?

Thanks for the help,
Best,

Nathan

I have the previous model of Swaro but they are all the same when digiscoping. A Swaro is the best so get one.

Also,...look into the very convenient DCB adapter... I believe they call it DCB2 or something like that to fit the newest scope. I like this adapter for you can video scope or just take shots, but the beauty of this adapter is that it 'swings' up and away and 'swings' down when you want to use it. It can always be attached to the scope and holds the camera in exactly the spot you wish it to be. But when not wanting the camera in place, the adapter swings it up and out of the way so you have viewing via the scope eye piece. It is also meant just for a Swaro by Swaro...so the adapter fits perfectly.

Not sure on the current price but well worth it.

I always pity those folks out there who have adapters that the camera just kind of fits on to, or hangs on to. What do these people do with the camera while they are attempting to focus via the eyepeice on the mammal or bird? Where does the camera go? In their pocket, on a rock, on the ground or? ...Then when they want to use the camera they have one more step to go thru to find it and get it all set up.

The Swaro eliminates all of that ....as the camera is always attached, ready for scope viewing or camera / video.... best of luck, jim (great video, love it!!!!)

Last edited:
Dear all,
I am currently videoscoping with a canon Ixus 115HS on a Swarovski ATS80HD (30x eyepiece), see this compilation for example (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2sei987zNI). I have never used a camcorder, but would be a nice thing to try, but it is difficult to find the right device I guess. I am mainly interested in large carnivores, thus requiring important magnification and light.

I am thus quite interested in buying a Swarovski ATX95. I have seen only a few posts about videoscoping with this new scope. For those who are using it, are you happy about the results, compared to the ATS series, and other scopes? Which kind of system do you use - camera or camcorder?

Thanks for the help,
Best,

Nathan

Nathan,
I'm loving the STX95 as it really sucks in the light.
I think you would also see a big difference with a better camera for video.
I like shooting with 1080/60p cameras and there is more choice these days. My main camera is the Sony RX 100 with it's 1 inch sensor and 20.3 megs for stills. For 1080/30p I do like the Nikon V1/V2 cameras. They keep separate settings for stills and video, so you can have two different iso set up.
A Sony/Canon handycam video camera won't work very well behind the Swarovski eyepieces due to vignetting because of the long zooms on the cameras.
I have put up a short video on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gA9VcjKRIk
taken with the Sony RX 100.
The DCB 11 Adapter is also very good although you will need a black cloth to throw over the lens/adapter to keep the sun out.
Neil.

Hi Neil,
thanks for the reply. This video is really nice and sharp. The light improvement is paramount. As you probably seen in the link above, one my focus is large carnivores. This brings two big challenges: usual long distances of observation & low light conditions. All in all, I guess I would have way better videos with this new system!

Nathan

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back