• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 70D coming? (1 Viewer)

Paul - Herts

Paul Herts
I've been looking forward to hearing that the 70D is here for quite some time and the Canon Rumours website has finally published a speculated spec for the new model. How accurate it is remains to be seen but they reckon on the list below. I am hopeful that this may finally be the time to upgrade from my 40D which has served me very well. The AF looks like a big upgrade for me, similar to the 7D's system possibly, but looking forward to it with much excitement

◾20.2mp CMOS Sensor
◾DIGIC 5+
◾19pt AF System (All Cross Type)
◾7fps
◾Built-in WiFi
◾3″ Vari-Angle Touch Screen LCD
◾ISO 12,800 Maximum
◾Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus
◾Full HD Video
◾HDR
◾Multiexposure Mode
◾LP-E6 Battery
◾Announcement on July 2, 2013

Paul

Well if that spec is right it could be a cracking camera. If it does inherit the 7D's Af system it will no doubt be very popular, does make me wonder what they will add to the 7DmkII when it finally surfaces...

Now announced for pre-order and available from September. Can't see that it has the micro AF adjustment which I was hoping for nor can I see if its weather-sealed.
Looks like the big selling point is the new AF system which is aimed at video recording using the new stm lenses but a well speced camera.

Will be a good few months before the performance is clear and initially selling for $1199 body only so guessing £900 for the UK.

Edit: on Canon's UK site now and MA is on the spec

Last edited:
Now announced for pre-order and available from September. Can't see that it has the micro AF adjustment which I was hoping for nor can I see if its weather-sealed.
Looks like the big selling point is the new AF system which is aimed at video recording using the new stm lenses but a well speced camera.

Will be a good few months before the performance is clear and initially selling for $1199 body only so guessing £900 for the UK.

Edit: on Canon's UK site now and MA is on the spec

I've just had an e-mail ad from WEX.

Available now for pre-order, stock due August, £1079 with a 'free' gadget bag thrown in..

Here's the spec from the EOS mgazinenewsletter just received :

KEY FEATURES

• 20.2 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 5+
• 19 point cross-type AF System and 7 fps shooting
• Dual Pixel CMOS AF
• Instant sharing and remote control with Wi-Fi
• ISO 12800 (H:25600)
• Vari-angle 7.7cm ClearView II LCD touch screen
• Intelligent viewfinder
• Full-HD movies

Pricing and Availability:

The EOS 70D is available from late August 2013 with an SRP of:

• £1079.99 / €1399.99 – body only
• £1199.99 / €1599.99 – with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
• £1399.99 / €1849.99 – with EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM

Looks like Canon rumours were right.

Phil

Last edited:
According to Canon the Camera 'offers stunningly fast autofocus capabilities when using Live View' Not sure if they are referring to the contrast based Live viewAF or the quick live view AF (phase detect so restricted to f5.6). If there is significant improvement in the contrast based AF then this could make shooting at f8 a real goer for lenses like the 100-400 and 400/5.6 when coupled with a 1.4x tc.

Last edited:
Loads of info and full specs via CPN HERE.
It does not appear to have spot AF although it has zone AF.

Last edited:
DP Review Preview Posted

Here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/0...s-70d-hands-on-preview-dual-pixel-cmos-af-slr

DP Review describes this camera as a D60 replacement, rather than a 7D replacement. Unfortunately, DP Review has no hands-on performance information (i.e., image quality, low noise, autofocusing, etc). The article also mentions that for viewfinder shooting, they don't expect much if any improvement over the 7D (but that's TBD). It is interesting that both Canon and Nikon have brought out cameras one step down from the 7D / D300s range which perform as well or better than those cameras.

DP Review describes this camera as a D60 replacement, rather than a 7D replacement. .
Absolutely, being a xxD and not a xD puts it in a lower class than the 7D. This one is firmly aimed at the xxxD and 40/50/60D up-graders. According to Canon themselves "the EOS 70D is the perfect solution for those looking to upgrade from an entry-level DSLR"
Mind you there are enough good features to suggest that the the 7Dmk2 will be worth waiting for.

BTW on the Canon Profession network (CPN) site there are experiences by togs who have actually used the Camera in the field.

Last edited:
Very good detailed preview here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-70d/canon-70dA.HTM
There is single point autofocus plus zone. Weatherproofing sounds similar to the 7D. One point of interest is that in live view not only is the focus fast but will focus at any aperture so will work with f8 or f11 lens/converter combinations. There is lens micro adjustment for up to 40 lenses but in phase detect in live view accuracy will be dead on.
Makes me have high expectations of what the 7D II will have.

One point of interest is that in live view not only is the focus fast but will focus at any aperture so will work with f8 or f11 lens/converter combinations.
This is the same as the 7D live view AF Mike, I have got AF with a 400/5.6 plus 2x tc, AF accuracy is very good providing you have some contrast but the big problem with contrast based AF has always been that it can be very slow compared to the normal phase AF - maybe its going to be a lot faster in the future. #lookingforwardtothe7D2

Lots of links and impressions popping up since I read the announcement this morning and the af at smaller apertures is very interesting indeed. That in itself could be a major change for future development and, for me at least, very exciting. Looking forward to see feedback from users.

I was a bit shocked by the opening price for the UK though compared with the US. I know we generally pay a higher price for electronic goods but that seems like quite a hike to me. Hopefully that will drop significantly after a bit of time on the market.

Looks good to me!

P.S. I did not stay up all night waiting for the announcement - it was hot and muggy and I woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep. Then I remembered it was due and got all excited 8-P

This is the same as the 7D live view AF Mike, I have got AF with a 400/5.6 plus 2x tc, AF accuracy is very good providing you have some contrast but the big problem with contrast based AF has always been that it can be very slow compared to the normal phase AF - maybe its going to be a lot faster in the future. #lookingforwardtothe7D2

Thanks Roy, the big difference is hopefully decently quick focussing plus control of where it focusses via the touch screen when in live-view. The preview even says it can follow focus someone riding a bike towards the camera.

I was a bit shocked by the opening price for the UK though compared with the US. I know we generally pay a higher price for electronic goods but that seems like quite a hike to me. Hopefully that will drop significantly after a bit of time on the market.
Always the same for early adopters in the UK, the starting price is usually the same in GBP as it is in USD (so ignoring the exchange rate). The 7D was £1700 ($1700 in the states) to begin with but dropped rapidly to £1100-£1200 as stock became available. In the states they tend to start off with a competitive price whereas in the UK you have to wait a month or so after release.
The strange thing is that after the initial release and hype the UK price for Cameras are very competitive and often cheaper than the states but this never happens with lenses for some reason:h?:
It will be interesting to see what price the likes of HDEW start with for the 70D although non official Canon suppliers like HDEW are normally the last to get stocks.

Last edited:

AF in live view is phased dectection using that new dual-pixel feature, which is a huge improvement over contrast based AF

AF in live view is phased dectection using that new dual-pixel feature, which is a huge improvement over contrast based AF
yes , I have been reading about that. It will be interesting as to just how good this new dual pixel AF works. Phase detect AF in a live view type AF was first developed by Fuji I believe but Canon seem to have developed the technology further.
I am still not entirely sure if all the live view AF is going to be this new phase detect system or is there going to be phase and contrast like with the 7D.

Last edited:
The new dual pixel AF in live view looks very encouraging in this test video . Certainly seems to be a lot quicker than live view AF on the 7D. Looking interesting for shooting at a max aperture of f8 (or even f11).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back