• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D w/ 400 5.6 L settings (1 Viewer)

Pauhana

United States
Been using this lens for awhile and have been overall satisfied with results but think I need to experiment more with settings. Right now I shoot everything in manual mode. Am wondering how others use this lens. AV with auto film speed, full auto, etc. What are your experiences, settings for birding? The 7D is setup using recommendations by Arthur Morris/Birds as art.

When hand holding this combo I always found it best to use Tv mode and auto ISO. That way you can ensure you get the right shutter speed (which is what the non IS lens is all about) - when using this mode on the 7D you will find that the Camera most always returns a wide open aperture which is fine for this lens. What shutter speed you need to hand hold and get sharp shots depends on your hand holding technique but something like 1/800 sec is a good starting point, you obviously need a faster shutter speed for flyers.
On the 7D you can also set a max ISO to use when using auto ISO. A lot of my shots shown in my Photostream linked below were take using this method!

Outstanding shots. Am going to give this method a try. Really like this lens a lot and want to maximize it's use. Thanks

A lot of my shots shown in my Photostream linked below were take using this method!

Too bad I can't view these, Roy. Lots of photographers are apparently unaware that unless visitors have a Flickr account and are logged in, or permit Flickr cookies, you can't view anything on Flickr, not to mention their "if you put it on here it belongs to us now" attitude. Would like to see them. Oh well.

Too bad I can't view these, Roy. Lots of photographers are apparently unaware that unless visitors have a Flickr account and are logged in, or permit Flickr cookies, you can't view anything on Flickr, not to mention their "if you put it on here it belongs to us now" attitude. Would like to see them. Oh well.
First time I have ever heard of this, I know of lots of people who have not got a Flickr account but regularly view my Flickr Photostream - you most certainly do not have to be logged in or have a Flickr account to view. Could it be something to do with your PC settings?

you most certainly do not have to be logged in or have a Flickr account to view. Could it be something to do with your PC settings?

Then it must be the cookies. I only permit cookies for sites I have to log into. That must explain it. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back