• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2014 (1 Viewer)

Very slow going here this year, hardly any birds in the garden, seawatching has been the saviour so far...

1 House Sparrow
2 Black-headed Gull
3 Black-throated Diver
4 Common Scoter
5 Teal
6 Herring Gull
7 Cormorant
8 Magpie
9 Starling
10 Common Gull
11 Blackbird
12 Great Black-backed Gull
13 Gannet
14 Wigeon
15 Kittiwake
16 Goldeneye
17 Brent Goose
18 Red-throated Diver
19 Great Skua
20 Mediterranean Gull
21 Dunnock
22 Robin
23 Pink-footed Goose
24 Great Crested Grebe
25 Fulmar
26 Sparrowhawk
27 Great Northern Diver
28 Guillemot
29 Razorbill
30 Shelduck
31 Shag

I concur with the rate of additions! however I'll add a solitary Starling passing over the house this am (42), keeping ahead of RyanI for a short lived period whilst I can! :)

Last edited:
I'm hoping for a major boost this weekend - snow on the ground, temperature is falling to minus 17 C and numbers will be exploding :)

In my Vilnius garden these last days (I don't count this one for this thread), bird table is attracting over 100 Tree Sparrows, 20 Greenfinches and a Hawfinch throughout.

Last edited:
30. Raven
I first heard one (but didn't see it) flying in the distance, before a few minutes later, one appeared, flying low over the garden, then yet another one appeared just after that. Other than that, it has been extremely quiet- I'm still missing a whole heap of normally easy species (Greenfinch, Dunnock, Fieldfare, Jay etc.). I did see (rather than just hear) my first garden Song Thrush, Wrens and best of all, Barn Owl of the year though.

Glorious here at present, minus 17 C or 18 C at night, crisp blue and minus 12 C or 14 C in the day. Good upswing at the feeders, flocks of Greenfinch and Redpolls , single Siskin and Bullfinch dropping in.

Top news though, after being dead chuffed at having a returning Three-toed Woodpecker for the third winter in a row, I now have two, both pecking away on a single tree. Brilliant. Also caught (and ringed) new male White-backed Woodpecker, retrapped Middle Spotted and Great Spotted Woodpeckers. Grey-headed Woodpecker on the feeders.

Only two additions for the year count however:

21. Grey-headed Woodpecker
22. Siskin

Set to get a fair bit colder over the next week, minus 21 C forecast.

Last edited:
37) Reed Bunting
38) Mallard

Not seen the Hen Harrier again...........but I keep looking.

Raptor garden total so far this year: 5

I had 18 from the garden in lowland France for the couple of years I spent time there.

18 is my total for mine too, covers more than two years though :t:

White-tailed Eagle.
Osprey.
Lesser Spotted Eagle.
Short-toed Eagle.
Black Kite.
Marsh Harrier.
Hen Harrier.
Montagu's Harrier.
Pallid Harrier.
Rough-legged Buzzard.
Common Buzzard.
Honey Buzzard.
Sparrowhawk.
Goshawk.
Kestrel.
Merlin.
Red-footed Falcon.
Hobby.

While watching the bird feeders this morning I heard and viewed a flock of Snow Geese fly over. In among the flock I picked out:

# 23. Ross's Goose

Minus 18 C, rising to minus 17 C as I left at midday (almost tropical at minus 13 C when I arrived in the city).

But on the frozen lake, footprints of a new mammal species for my land ...any guesses?

Glorious here at present, minus 17 C or 18 C at night, crisp blue and minus 12 C or 14 C in the day. Good upswing at the feeders, flocks of Greenfinch and Redpolls , single Siskin and Bullfinch dropping in.

Top news though, after being dead chuffed at having a returning Three-toed Woodpecker for the third winter in a row, I now have two, both pecking away on a single tree. Brilliant. Also caught (and ringed) new male White-backed Woodpecker, retrapped Middle Spotted and Great Spotted Woodpeckers. Grey-headed Woodpecker on the feeders.

Only two additions for the year count however:

21. Grey-headed Woodpecker
22. Siskin

Set to get a fair bit colder over the next week, minus 21 C forecast.

That's a feast of Woodpeckers, Top stuff Jos

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back