• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What to list (UK) (1 Viewer)

daniel o

So, I'm wondering what everyone includes in their bird lists. Do you add species such as Feral Pigeon, Ring-necked Parakeet, Egyptian Goose, etc?

We've done this repeatedly. Short version:

Link to the British Ornithologists Union official British List:

http://www.bou.org.uk/british-list/

This is always the starting point. Its official, its scrutinised by birders (BBRC) and scientists (BOURC).

Birds in Categories A and C (the latter is subdivided) are countable. Many birders have issues with some birds on it (and more with birds not on it!) It's those niggles at the edges that provide conversation at twitches when the bird isn't showing....

Yes you can count Feral Pigeon. But it's the same as Rock Dove - you can't have two ticks!

Enjoy.

John

Birds in Category B are also countable, if you have the extreme good fortune to find something that's not been seen in Britain for over 65 years (or have been birding for over 65 years!!) :t:

I forgot that.... I do think its a redundant category. Once a bird is in "A" it should just stay there.

John

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but it answers some of the questions I was going to pose in a new one...
I'm keeping my first UK year list since 1972 (so not quite 65 years, but unlikely to have red-backed shrike on this time...) and am still trying to get my head round what is countable.
Back in the day we didn't count (or even look at) feral pigeons, now its acceptable...although we did count pheasants, which often have much less worthy credentials as a wild bird. I happily added 'category D' red kites from our local re-introductions, and was equally happy to add ring-necked parakeet from a trip to London last weekend.
Where I'm currently drawing the line is with the Egyptian geese and red-crested pochard in London parks...are these populations classed as 'self-sustaining', or have they just escaped from the waterfowl collections? Relative tameness is no guide here, given that everything from grey herons to great tits was being fed from the hand, and the RC pochard in particular seemed quite wary in comparison. Listing etiquette advice appreciated!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back