• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Old Trinovids (1 Viewer)

Hi,

they are obviously available in stores in germany - leica's own and others too. First tests of the 7x35 in the german Juelich Forum show it's a decent pair of bins - just not the old model with current coatings which was announced.

https://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,445740

Joachim

Are you sure they are really being offered Jo? Two stores whose websites I have visited which show these models prominently also have small panels saying "Dieser Artikel ist nicht mehr verfügbar und kann daher nicht bestellt werden", which pretty much says these models cannot be ordered.

Lee

While these Leicas are pleasant to look at, with the changes from the first proposed model, it does look like previous internal offerings (trinovid/UV) placed in a new fashionable case. It will be about as water resistant as a Nikon SE Porro, and cost twice as much.
If one wants to buy a nice Leica glass, go with the existing line of models Trinovid/Ultravid/Noctivid, or even a mint BA/BN for less. Don't waste the $$ on these. Personally I do not think these will sell well, just wait until they get a barage of leakers in for repair/service.
I am not bashing Leica Glass, I own quite a few, just offering my 2cts.

Andy W.

What I find interesting, esp. when looking at forums like the one of Jülich that has been mentioned:
Opinions from people who have not seen the new Trinovids are mostly negative, those of people who just bought one are mostly positive.
So I guess I will have to look at them myself sometime to know what‘s really the matter ... :eek!:
They are obviously now available at the Leica Stores (only, Lee seems to be right on this).
I do have a 1960s 7x35 and a 1970s 10x40, both in good condition, and will be mostly interested in the difference between them and the new „Retrovid“ - btw, I am the creator/owner of that name and hope to sell it to Leica for a hefty price ;)
Canip

Last edited:
While these Leicas are pleasant to look at, with the changes from the first proposed model, it does look like previous internal offerings (trinovid/UV) placed in a new fashionable case. It will be about as water resistant as a Nikon SE Porro, and cost twice as much.

It will be MORE water resistant than the Nikon SE. They are spashproof which the Nikon SE is not, and the Leica guys are confident that rain and so on is no problem. Just don't use them in your bathtub.

If one wants to buy a nice Leica glass, go with the existing line of models Trinovid/Ultravid/Noctivid, or even a mint BA/BN for less.

Can you point me to any Leica 7x35 except for the Trinovid? Heck, to ANY decent quality 7x35 with such a small form factor? The Nikon Action 7x35 doesn't count, for obvious reasons ... :king:

Just asking.

Hermann
(who won't buy the 7x35 himself)

Last edited:
Are you sure they are really being offered Jo?
Lee

Hi Lee,

yes, I'm sure they're in the stores - first of all two people writing in the thread on the Juelich forum seem to have bought one each...
And second my usually well informed source at Leica has seen them for sale in the Leica store at Wetzlar.

Maybe I'll grab my trusty Leitz 7x42 BA and go to the Frankfurt store for a quick comparison... don't have the old 7x35 unfortunately...

PS: as for whether it's going to be available outside of Leica stores - Leica stated that it will be when asked on a trade fair - for what it's worth...

Joachim

Last edited:
Joachim, post 112,
From what I have read on the Julich site I can only draw the conclusion that the new-old Trinovids described there were bought in specific Leica stores.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hermann,

There is always the 7X42 HD/HD+ to satisfy the 7X with more aperture, but I understand the nostalgia for a 7X35. I will wait until actual reviews come to the forefront, until then it is all speculation and raw opinions. It must be frustrating for vendors who sell all brands of glass, specifically the big three, to be locked out.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back