• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OWL family in my back yard - can you ID them? (1 Viewer)

Hootie123

Hello -

I am new to the site and not at all versed in birds so forgive my "newbie" status... but my house seems to be bird central lately.

We had a small downy owl perched on the second floor window ledge on and off most mornings the last 2 weeks. He was making an odd purring sound which is how we found him sitting there. Photo attached - horizontal metal window sash is 1.5 inches tall for scale.

This morning we discovered 3 larger owls hiding from the rain near the sill where the baby hides. They let us photograph them.

From the photo attached there appears to be 2 color ways (male and two females I guess?) but I am a turtle person and entirely unfamiliar with owls.

It is about 10:30am in Florida and I thought owls were night birds. They are still out there.

Anyone want to ID my new neighbors?

I feed birds store-bought seed and the small birds seem to have attracted raptors. We have a hawk that passes by to eat the smaller doves.

Thanks for any info. Totally new to this.

Hootie

Attachments

• Owl Family Photo.jpg
    Owl Family Photo.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Little Owl.jpg
    Little Owl.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 89
Welcome to Birdforum you have a family of Eastern Screech-Owls, they come in red and gray colour phases. Juveniles tend to be barred underneath with adults streaked with fainter barring, so I think it may be an adult and two juveniles in the photo.

Thanks so much Mark. The closest I ever got to an owl was watching a Harry Potter Movie.

They are just so small and I always imagined owls were large birds. The second photo of the single bird was the one I thought was a baby. His head is rounder, his ears just barely tuft out and he was more fuzzy and downy where the three together in the tree are more clearly defined and sharper in shape. I was inches away from the baby on the other side of the window and he was drowsing and sort of purring... sweet.

The 3 larger ones are all still quietly sitting in the same spot - hours later - at midday. Guess they're here for a while.

Cool stuff.

Thanks!

Last edited:
That's amazing, I only ever saw one owl during my stay in florida, but I loved hearing typical owl call at now, the one that you read in children's books. How great to have a family of them stop by.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back