• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shieldbugs. (1 Viewer)

What bug please (S. France)

Talking of final instars, this looks like one to me (but what do I know?). Can anyone identify it? Spotted in my garden in S. France last June.

Attachments

• XXX_1486a.jpg
    XXX_1486a.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 30
not a very good photo but I found this one on our front door when I got home this evening. I think it is 'forest bug'.

Attachments

• forest bug ex IMG_2471 (800).JPG
    forest bug ex IMG_2471 (800).JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 32
Green Shieldbug? (Cumbria, UK)

Hello

The attached photos were taken today near Carlisle.

Would they be different life stages of the Green Shieldbug (Palomena prasina)? The all-green one was 1cm+ in length and the other was about the size of a ladybird. They were found close together on brambles.

I thought I'd better get a second opinion as the NBN Gateway database doesn't show any records for this species in north Cumbria.

Many thanks

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_5243 ed 1000.jpg
    IMG_5243 ed 1000.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5262 ed 1000.jpg
    IMG_5262 ed 1000.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 24
Why can't I find a Parent Bug (Cumbria, UK)?

Hello

I hope someone can help me with this.

Over the past few weeks I've found Green (numerous), Hairy/Sloe (numerous), Birch (numerous), Gorse (numerous), Spiked/Spined (numerous), Bronze (4) and Forest/Red-legged (1) shieldbugs around the Carlisle/South Solway area, but despite my best efforts I've not been able to find a Parent Bug (Elasmucha grisea).

According to the NBN Gateway database Parent Bugs are one of the most common shieldbugs found around here, whereas there were NO previous records for Green and Hairy shieldbugs anywhere in north-east Cumbria. So it's not as if I've not been looking hard enough!

I've mainly been concentrating on birch trees (from scrub and saplings to the lower branches of mature trees), partly because there are so many of them locally and partly because the larvae feed on birch (etc). Most of my searches have been done in warm and generally sunny conditions when there hasn't been much of a wind blowing.

I know adult Parent Bugs are smaller than the others I've been finding, but I've been having no trouble spotting these small, brown leaf-beetles, so I don't think my eyesight is the problem. Also, I've been carrying around some images of the adult and each of the five instars, so I do know what they look like.

I'm wondering whether most of the reports are from earlier in the year when the parents are guarding over their offspring and so are easier to spot, and easier for people to identify? So perhaps they're over-represented in the data, and aren't as common (relatively) as the numbers suggest? Or do they just hide at this time of year? I think I'm clutching at straws here though.

Any advice/explanation greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

I found lots last month- adults + nymphs of various instars on alders by a pond. I'm in the London area + have found them at this time of the year. Maybe try some alders if you've been concentrating on birch?

Thanks for that aeshna5.

I'll give that a go - I know there are some alders in my local nature reserve. It will make a nice change anyway, as I'm sick of the sight of birch trees!

Paul

Hello Gillean,

It could possibly be that they have already entered hibernation. We had an early Spring and an early Summer and now an early Autumn. I have had Small Tortoiseshell butterflies hibernating in my house since mid July and that is a month earlier than they usually come in. There still a very few flying but they are few and far between. Most had entered hibernation before I started seeing Peacock Butterflies on my Buddleia's. I live on the Northumberland/Durham border so possibly just a tad north of you and I haven't seen a Parent Bug since the beginning of August. Insects of all species are now few and far between. I usually see them first on a sunny day in Spring when the Hazel Catkins start to show their pollen, then they move to Birch. I take it you are beating for them rather than just searching? Please don't put much faith in Gateway
I sent them several thousand Bumblebee records and it was several years before they appeared on the distribution maps, by several years I mean more than five.

Harry

Last edited:
Hello Harry

Many thanks for your reply. It never entered my head that they might already be in hibernation, but it would certainly explain why I've not come up with anything despite repeated and lengthy searches in numerous locations! I certainly haven't had any trouble finding other types of shieldbug though. In fact I was out this afternoon checking out some of the local alders after aeshna5's suggestion and found a final instar Hawthorn (on alder) and also a few adult Greens (on brambles).

The method I've been using is to carry out an initial search without disturbing anything, and then give the vegetation a whack with a stick - but this has really been to see if I can raise any moths. Is the intention to get the shieldbugs to fly (which they generally seem reluctant to do) or just to move into a different position? Any tips on search methods would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks also for the warning on Gateway!

Paul

Hello Paul,

The Parent bug was out in my area on the Northumberland/Durham boundary in February this year on Hazel catkins. By May the young were to be found in their family groups so it's not surprising they hibernate early. Other species tend to come out with the appearance of leaves on trees and shrubs which also bring out the carnivorous species. Spined and Green Shieldbugs are scarce in the N/E as is the Sloe Bug. The Juniper Shieldbug is fairly common on wild Juniper in the Lake District and elsewhere in Cumbria, you should look for it only on female berry bearing Shrubs on the southern edge of Juniper stands where they get full sunlight. I found them common on virtually every site where Juniper occurs in Northumberland and Durham. I wrote up my findings n a paper in the Entomologists Gazette and Journal of Variation. Suggesting people look for it in Yorkshire and Cumbria and that Scottish Hemipterists do the same there. It was soon found in both Yorkshire and Cumbria by people who had read my paper but no one took it up in Scotland. Several years later I was visiting an entomologist friend in the Lothian's of Scotland and we went to a site to look for it. I beat the first female Juniper I came to and out dropped two specimens the first Scottish National Records. This was written up in Het News and a few weeks later a Scottish Hemipterist wrote to me saying he had found it in Aberdeenshire.

It had been a theory of mine for some years that this species would be found further north than the Witherslack locality quoted as the most northern record by Southwood & Leston. This is not a recent expansion in the north as wild Juniper is a very isolated plant species and not easily found. Stands of this shrub are often many miles apart. Unlike it's southern brethren it has not adapted itself to feeding on Leylandii bushes.

I use a sweep net and a large beating tray for the majority of my 'bug' collecting. When beating only strike a branch once, very firmly, bugs will, if present, just drop off. Repeated beating will do you no good as the bugs will be gripping on as hard as they can after the first clout. There aren't so many species up in the north as there are down south but you occasionally find things you don't expect. I had two specimens of N.viridula before it started breeding here in Britain, from my local Supermarket brought in on imported vegetables, lol.

Like butterflies and moths Bugs vary in their time of their appearance, but you soon get used to that.Have fun recording and always expect the unexpected. Sweep nets and beating trays are available from Watkins and Doncaster in Kent. They aren't cheap, if your a handyman you can make your own, that is cheaper. See:- http://www.watdon.co.uk/
Harry

Last edited:
Hello Harry

Many thanks for your highly informative response!

In view of your comments I think I'll give up the search for the elusive Parent Bug this year - or at least I'll stop focusing on it in an obsessive manner! - and just wait till next spring.

Funnily enough I did have a crack at finding Juniper Shieldbugs a few weeks ago when I down in the Lake District doing a bit of hillwalking. The only info I had was a statement on the Tullie House website that nymphs were found on Juniper in Mosedale in 1991, and that the area was surveyed the following year confirming the sighting. There may well have been other more northerly records since then, but the site is years out of date.

I made the assumption that Mosedale referred to the dale to the west of the hamlet of Mosedale (ca NY357322), as there are large areas of Juniper bushes by the roadside (amongst the larger areas of Gorse) - see attached photo, with north on the left. I didn't find anything, but to be honest I didn't look that hard as it had already been a fairly long day and I was keen to get home.

I'd be very interested to know whether you think it would still be possible to find Juniper Shieldbugs this year, as I'll probably be down Mosdale way again before the end of September.

The only other shieldbugs on my "hitlist" are the Heather and the Blue. I've checked out a few of the south Solway mosses - concentrating on the margins - but without any luck. As I understand it, neither of these is easy to find which is why I was concentrating on the Parent Bug!

Thanks for your advice on search techniques!

Paul

Attachments

• Carrock Fell route, 7 September 14 1000.jpg
    Carrock Fell route, 7 September 14 1000.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 32
Hello Paul,

It may be too late for the Juniper Shieldbug but don't let that put you off. With it being an early year and (for once) a reasonably hot summer many species are in hibernation already. My discovery of this species in Northumberland and Durham didn't occur until 2000, the Lake district records were made between then and 2004 so it would appear that Tullie House doesn't have those records. The adults come out of hibernation in May this far north. Do you get 'Het News' it's a web publication by the National Recorder for Hemiptera-Homoptera and is usually sent to those who ask for it. I must admit I cannot recall when the last issue came out. If you find their website you may still be able to download previous issues. I don't get much time these days for doing as much recording as I used to do. I'm getting on at 71 years, and old age is slowing me down not to mention the price of Diesel fuel on a single man's old age pension. I've been recording since the Biological Records Centre first opened back in the 1960's. Beating and sweeping beats the heck out of simply searching for Shieldbugs. I do get the Blue Bug over here, I have found it on Heather when looking for other insect species here, but it is rather difficult to find and there are a small number of blue beetles that look very similar, most times it's the beetle you find. lol. The picture looks good for the Juniper Shieldbug, remember female berry bearing bushes on a south facing slope in full sunshine (when we get any). Good Luck

Harry

Hello Harry

Thanks again for your insight - in particular the advice on where to look for the Juniper Shieldbug (probably next spring for me now).

I found a free on-line archive of past editions of "Het News":

http://www.britishbugs.org.uk/HetNews.html

Most of the articles are over my head, but I'm sure I'll find some useful stuff in there.

In the unlikely event that I manage to stumble across any of my target shieldbugs in what remains of the season, I'll let you know!

Paul

PS I may have given a misleading impression of the extent of records in Cumbria for the JSB. To clarify, there have been numerous reports from the south of the county. The Mosedale record is the most northerly record currently shown on the Tullie House or Gateway distribution maps, and the only one within "my area" - I like to keep the driving down to an absolute minimum! So it was the only one I was interested in.

Last edited:
Hello Paul,

Winter will give you time to get some collecting equipment together so you'll be fully prepared for next season. Winter will also give you time to read all the copies of Het News. Over the years I have published articles ranging from the serious scientific papers to the odd humorous and self deprecating amusing stories connected to my entomological interests. If your interested just Google :- Eales, H.T. or H.T. Eales and you'll find references you can look up. Not everything is there by any means but some of it may be of interest to you.

One last pointer to searching/beating Juniper Shieldbug. When beating the adult insect invariably falls on it's back and enters a state on complete motionless or catatonic state as long as it suspects there may be a predator present. The underside colour of the JSB is identical to that of unripe Juniper Berries., of which there will be many in your beating tray. So take care to examine the contents of the tray very carefully or you may miss them. May is the earliest I have seen JSB out and about but it all depends on the temperatures where you live or record.

Finally, let us know via this Forum how you get on. Interest is growing all the time in these insects, now there are affordable ID books available or websites that can assist you with ID's.

Harry

Hello Harry

I'll certainly be checking through the archived articles and looking your stuff up before next spring.

I'm not sure if I'll be going down the beating tray route though, as although it's obviously an essential tool for recording purposes, my main objective is to get in-situ photos of the shieldbugs whenever possible. I'm prepared to accept that I'm not going to find everything!

Incidentally, although the year may be over for Parent Bugs, there's still plenty of SBs up and about at the moment. I counted six different species today: Green (2) and Hawthorn (1) on Alder in Kingmoor (Carlisle), and Bronze (3), Spiked (6 - including a mating pair), Gorse (3) and Birch (2) on Glasson Moss. Needless to say I didn't find anything I was actually looking for!

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back