• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping prime lens (Nikkor) for vanguard endeavour HD82A (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi,
I have recently been given a Vanguard Endeavour HD82A spotting scope and I want to try digiscoping with it. Currently I have 3 Nikon bodies D7000, D3000 and D60. The standard 18-55mm gives a black ring when using the PA 202 adapter and doesn't work in AF mode unless I use the D7000 with the camera body AF/M switch set to M.

Does a low F number lens work on AF?

Can this black ring be avoided?

If not, would I be better off with a prime lens?

Can anyone recommend a lens for one of my existing bodies, probably the D60 as my wife uses the D3000 and I use the D7000 with my Sigma 150-500mm?

What is the maximum step up/step down combination that works without the black circle?

And finally, sorry for so many questions, (but I need advice not an attempt at a sale that I get elsewhere) my Sigma 150 -500 mm would need an 86 mm- 58mm step down set. If such a set exists, would it be practical or still leave a black ring around the photo?

Many thanks for your patience.

Hi,
I have recently been given a Vanguard Endeavour HD82A spotting scope and I want to try digiscoping with it. Currently I have 3 Nikon bodies D7000, D3000 and D60. The standard 18-55mm gives a black ring when using the PA 202 adapter and doesn't work in AF mode unless I use the D7000 with the camera body AF/M switch set to M.

Does a low F number lens work on AF?

Can this black ring be avoided?

If not, would I be better off with a prime lens?

Can anyone recommend a lens for one of my existing bodies, probably the D60 as my wife uses the D3000 and I use the D7000 with my Sigma 150-500mm?

What is the maximum step up/step down combination that works without the black circle?

And finally, sorry for so many questions, (but I need advice not an attempt at a sale that I get elsewhere) my Sigma 150 -500 mm would need an 86 mm- 58mm step down set. If such a set exists, would it be practical or still leave a black ring around the photo?

Many thanks for your patience.

Andy,
A fixed 35mm or 28 mm would work but not the zooms. No AF as the scope is about an f10 lens equivalent.
If you have to buy a lens I would look at the Nikon P340 instead as you will have AF.
Neil.

I ended up buying the 50 mm 1.8 G as the 35 mm and 28 mm still give a black halo. The 50 mm 1.4 was twice the price of the 1.8.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back